Stephanie Phua is a partner in the Corporate and Commercial practice group of Wong & Partners. She has also previously worked in the Corporate Practice Group of Baker & McKenzie, Sydney. Stephanie has been shortlisted in 2016 as “Young Lawyer of the Year” for the Asian Legal Business Malaysia Law Awards and was recently recognised as a "Rising Star" in Corporate by Euromoney Women in Business Law Awards in 2016. Asialaw Profile named Stephanie a "Leading Lawyer" in General Corporate Practice and Mergers & Acquisitions in 2008 and 2009, a "Leading Lawyer" in Insurance & Reinsurance and Mergers & Acquisitions in 2010 and 2011, and a "Leading Lawyer" in Mergers & Acquisitions in 2012 and 2013.
Stephanie's main area of focus is on mergers and acquisitions, take-overs, private equity investments, and corporate restructurings. She has undertaken numerous transactions in various industries and has represented a large number of leading foreign and domestic multinationals on inward and outward bound transactions. Her experience spans all aspects of documentation, negotiation, due diligence and regulatory compliance.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised KV Asia Capital ("KV Asia"), a private equity firm focused on investments into South East Asia, in connection with its acquisition, through its subsidiary Peta Sejahtera Sdn. Bhd., of a controlling interest in TF Value-Mart Sdn. Bhd. ("TF Value-Mart"), a leading hypermarket chain in Malaysia. TF Value-Mart is in the grocery retail business, operating 18 hypermarkets across 5 states in Malaysia.
- Acted for Affinity Equity Partners (S) Pte. Ltd. in its acquisition of a significant equity interest in Leong Hup International Sdn. Bhd., the holding company of the Leong Hup group of companies, the largest integrated poultry operator in Malaysia.
- Acted for Daiwa Securities Group Inc. in its attempted acquisition of 25% of Affin Investment Bank Berhad.
- Acted for the National Innovation Agency of Malaysia in connection with its minority investment into Bioven International Sdn. Bhd. which is involved in the development and commercialisation of an epidermal growth factor-pathway targeted immunization. The investment value for this transaction was approximately MYR 104 million.
- Advised AIA Group Limited in relation to the USD1.8 billion acquisition of ING Group N.V's Malaysian insurance and takaful business and on the merger between AIA Malaysia’s and ING Malaysia’s life insurance and takaful businesses under Part XI of the Insurance Act. The acquisition will combine ING’s Malaysian operations and AIA’s existing Malaysian business, currently the third and the fourth largest in Malaysia respectively, to create the largest life insurance firm in the country. This transaction was named “SE Asia M&A Deal of the Year 2013” by Asian Legal Business in May 2013.
- Acted for Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. in connection with its acquisition of 30 percent equity interest in Hong Leong Assurance Berhad (HLA), following the acquisition by MSIJ’s subsidiary (MSIG Insurance (Malaysia) Bhd (MSIG Malaysia) of the entire general insurance business of HLA.
- Advised the Asian Development Bank in the establishment of the USD 485.20 million ASEAN Infrastructure Fund, by the ASEAN member states and the Asian Development Bank.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Malaysian Bar
- Kuala Lumpur Bar
- Malaysia (2007)
- University of Malaysia (2006)
Wong & Partners is a member firm of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.