Sebastian Pabian is a partner in the Warsaw Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Practice Group. He is an author of numerous publications on the subject of insurance law as well as dispute resolution.
Mr. Pabian has extensive experience in advising clients on a wide range of litigation and arbitration matters. He focuses on financial institution litigation, particularly on insurance litigation, and regulatory disputes. The cases he has dealt with include, in particular, directors and officers liability (D&O), Bankers Blanket Bond (BBB) and professional indemnity (PI) insurance claims, disputes related to large infrastructure projects, currency derivatives, insolvency and white collar crimes, as well as litigation concerning consumer protection. His practice also focuses on group action/collective redress issues. He also provides day-to-day legal advisory services to insurance companies.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a life insurance company in group litigation concerning unit-linked insurance policies.
- Advised numerous life insurance companies on various aspects of unit-linked insurance policies, including in relation to court proceedings concerning the claims raised by their clients as well as the proceedings conducted by the president of the Office for Competition and Consumer Protection.
- Represented a large American insurer in several criminal and civil cases relating to D&O insurance claims, in which the aggregate sum of claims amounted to approximately EUR10 million.
- Represented a large American insurer in criminal proceedings relating to a loss (amounting to approximately EUR12 million) caused by the employees of an insured bank.
- Representing a consortium of international and domestic contractors in a high profile dispute with the Polish Ministry of Transport concerning the minister’s decision to declare the expiry of the concession for the construction and operation of the A1 Motorway.
- Advised a large Polish construction company (including successful representation before the Supreme Court of Poland) on a claim concerning an increase of the remuneration resulting from a contract for works at one of the largest coking plants in Poland – total claim amount: EUR15 million.
- Advised a large Polish power producer on a claim against a contractor in relation to property and business interruption damage caused in the course of the performance of a contract for the overhaul of a power unit – total claim amount: EUR10 million.
- Represented the insolvency administrator of one of the biggest German furniture manufacturers with respect to the bankruptcy proceedings of its 29 Polish subsidiaries.
- Represented various energy companies (including the largest power producers and suppliers in Poland) in several dozen administrative proceedings and court disputes with the president of the Polish Energy Regulatory Office regarding the calculation of the stranded costs arising as a result of the termination of long-term contracts for the supply of power and energy.
- Represented a Dutch holding company from the insurance sector in a number of cases regarding damage to its reputation, including high-profile and precedential cases against members of the Polish Parliament.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Warsaw Bar of Advocates
- Warsaw~Poland (2006)
- Warsaw School of Economics (Post Graduate Studies) (2014)
- Warsaw School of Economics (M.P.S.) (2014)
- University of Warsaw (LL.M., Honours) (2002)
- University of Warsaw (Private Law, Honours) (2002)
- University of Warsaw (Post Graduate Studies European Law) (2002)
- University of Warsaw (M.P.S. European Law) (2002)