Jeremy has been recognised by Legal 500 as a "Next Generation Partner" in two key areas for REITs (investment funds; real estate) where clients have described him as displaying “integrity, experience and an ability to think from the perspective of the client” and the REITs practice as “the best team that specialise in REITs in Hong Kong” and “advancing and outpacing their peers in REIT industry knowledge”. Chambers also describes Baker McKenzie as “a trusted adviser to REITs” which is “often instructed to assist clients with IPOs and capital raisings”.
Jeremy regularly engages in REIT advocacy in his dual roles as the Deputy Chair of APREA's Hong Kong Chapter and Regional Advocacy Committee, and as a member of the quasi-governmental FSDC working group on REITs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising SF REIT on its global offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, being the first logistics-focused REIT to be listed in Hong Kong.
- Advised China Merchants Commercial REIT on its global offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised Link REIT on its various acquisitions including its: (i) RMB 3.2 billion acquisition of 50% interest in Qibao Vanke Plaza in Shanghai (being the first "qualifying minority-owned property" acquisition by a H-REIT); (ii) AUD 683 million acquisition of 100 Market Street in Sydney from Blackstone as Hong Kong regulatory counsel (being Link REIT's first acquisition in Australia and first acquisition outside Hong Kong and China); (iii) joint venture with Nan Fung to develop land acquired from the Hong Kong Government through public tender for HKD 5.86 billion (being the first development project carried out by a H-REIT); and (iv) other real estate acquisitions and disposals in Hong Kong and China.
- Advised Yuexiu REIT on its various acquisitions including its: (i) RMB 7.8 billion proposed acquisition of Yuexiu Financial Tower; (ii) RMB 8.85 billion acquisition of Guangzhou International Finance Center in China; (iii) RMB 2.62 billion acquisition of Hongjia Tower in Shanghai; (iv) RMB 2.28 billion acquisition of 67% of Wuhan Yuexiu Fortune Centre in Wuhan; and (v) other real estate acquisitions and disposals in China.
- Advised Spring REIT on its (i) successful defence against the HKD 5.7 billion unsolicited takeover bid by private equity firm PAG Real Estate; (ii) issuance of HKD 585 million convertible bonds; (iii) proposed RMB 1.65 billion acquisition of a retail mall in Huizhou; and (iv) GBP 73.5 million acquisition of a portfolio of 84 Kwik-Fit tyre repair centres in the UK.
- Advised Fortune REIT on its: (i) Hong Kong/Singapore dual listing and Singapore delisting; (ii) HKD 5.84 billion acquisition of Kingswood Ginza Shopping Mall in Hong Kong; and (iii) HKD 1.9 billion acquisition of two other shopping centres in Hong Kong.
- Advised Prosperity REIT on its (i) HKD 1.01 billion acquisition of the Chong Yip Building in Hong Kong; (ii) proposed HKD 1.87 billion acquisition of another commercial building in Hong Kong; and (iii) HKD 885.7 million disposal of the office portion of the Harbourfront Landmark building in Hong Kong.
- Advised Champion REIT on its: (i) investment in a joint venture to acquire a minority stake in 66 Shoe Lane in London; and (ii) HKD 12.8 billion acquisition of Langham Place Mall and Office Tower, one of Hong Kong's tallest buildings.
- Advised Regal REIT on its: (i) HKD 3.4 billion acquisition of two Regal iClub hotels in Hong Kong; and (ii) HKD 1.36 billion acquisition of a further Regal iClub hotel in Hong Kong.
- Advised the trustee of New Century REIT on the IPO and listing of New Century REIT, secondary property acquisitions and disposals, and subsequent privatisation.
- Advised the trustee of Hui Xian REIT on the IPO and listing of Hui Xian REIT, and secondary property acquisitions.
- Advised Champion REIT, Regal REIT and Yuexiu REIT on the establishment and issuance of notes under their respective medium term note programmes and/or liability management exercises.
- Next Generation Partner (Real Estate, Hong Kong) – Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2022)
- Next Generation Partner (Investment Funds: Foreign Firms, China) - Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2020)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hong Kong Chapter of APREA - Deputy Chair
- Regional Advocacy Committee of APREA - Deputy Chair
- The Law Institute of Victoria - Member
- Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- Hong Kong (2021)
- Victoria~Australia (2006)
- University of Melbourne (LL.B. Hons) (2004)
- University of Melbourne (Bachelor of Commerce) (2004)