Representative Legal Matters
Handled consolidated arbitration involving coverage for five separate ERISA-related claims under fiduciary responsibility insurance policies.
Handled insurance issues arising out of a high-profile copyright class action lawsuit brought by freelance authors against databases and publishers over the digitization of works in electronic databases.
Handled captive reinsurance, product liability insurance and D&O insurance issues arising out of the domestic and foreign bankruptcies of a major Japanese automobile parts manufacturer.
Handled insurance coverage disputes, mediations and arbitrations under fiduciary liability and D&O insurance relating to claims against ERISA plans and fiduciaries.
Handled insurance issues and coverage litigation arising out of the principal, consolidated litigation against Enron, its former directors and officers, and others. Also handled insurance issues and disputes involving principal round-trip trading partners, CMS, Dynegy and Reliant, as well as dozens of other, significant insurance issues and disputes involving dozens of other utility and energy industry companies.
Advised on insurance issues regarding data breaches involving, for example, a major international hotel chain, a large supermarket chain, a major healthcare company, and a major financial company.
Advised on insurance issues and handled insurance coverage litigation involving, for example, the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, Beanie Babies, 5-Hour energy drinks, "The Sopranos" TV show, advertising software with allegedly secret information-gathering capabilities, college entrance examinations, private litigation against the US government and media companies involving the government's interception and analysis of vast quantities of domestic telephonic communications pursuant to the NSA's "PRISM" program, a book about an alleged IRA terrorist, Star Wars, a film of a Richard Pryor concert, a documentary about proto-punk rock group MC5, the Chicago Sun-Times' alleged circulation overstatements, unofficial Pokemon trader magazines, a fast food company's alleged appropriation of oven technology, Princess Diana's funeral (and a song written for the funeral and performed by Elton John), the Lady Death comic book series, electronic gaming/gambling machines, a well-known radio "shock jock," recordings by Engelbert Humperdinck, the reality TV show "Renovate My Family," The Complete National Geographic on DVD, Stan Lee's claims against Marvel regarding Marvel comic characters such as Spider-Man, X-Men and Iron Man, Frank Zappa videos, various medical devices and pharmaceuticals, and unwanted telemarketing calls, junk faxes and text messages.
Performed insurance-, indemnity- and litigation/claims-focused due diligence for dozens of business transactions.
Handled insurance issues and worked on drafting insurance policies covering various financial and transactional risks such as buyer- and seller-side M&A reps and warranties insurance, and insurance programs covering tax, regulatory and investment risks.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Section of Litigation - Member
- American Bar Association, International Committee, Section of Litigation - former Committee Chair and current Member
- American Bar Association, Privacy & Data Security Committee, Section of Litigation - Member
- American Bar Association, Excess, Surplus Lines & Reinsurance Committee, Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section - Member
- American Bar Association, Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee, Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section - Member
- American Bar Association, Insurance Regulation Committee, Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section - Member
- American Bar Association, Media, Privacy & Advertising Law Committee, Tort, Trial & Insurance Practice Section - Member
- Association for Conflict Resolution - Member
- Board member, Public Interest Law Initiative, 2010 to 2019.
- Handled projects for the Public International Law & Policy Group involving disaster relief in Sri Lanka and HIV/AIDS in Tanzania.
- Handled asylum matters through the National Immigrant Justice Center, including trials in the federal immigration court, and related appellate work before the Board of Immigration Appeals and the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Handled pro bono matters through the community-based Legal Prep Community Law Clinic in the Garfield Park neighborhood.
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Month, Illinois Legal Aid.
- Initiated and organized two separate Baker McKenzie pro bono legal clinics with Chicago Volunteer Legal Services – supervising them for a number of years – and received a pro bono award from that organization.
- Prosecuted Section 1983 prisoner civil rights lawsuits (by appointment of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois).
- Received a Robert L. Berner, Jr. Pro Bono and Community Service Award of Excellence from Baker & McKenzie.
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit~United States (1990)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit~United States (1990)
- Illinois~United States (1986)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)~United States
- University of Illinois at Chicago, John Marshall Law School (JD with Distinction) (1986)
- University of Cincinnati (BA) (1983)
- Emory University (1980)