Sphesihle's experience spans the entire spectrum of antitrust and competition law regulation in Africa. He advises local and international clients on deal-making strategy from an antitrust/competition law perspective, notifiability and compilation of merger transactions to competition authorities in various African jurisdictions, including Botswana, COMESA, Kenya, Namibia, Zambia, Zimbabwe (amongst others). Sphesihle also advises and represents local and international clients on prohibited practices (i.e. cartel conduct, restrictive vertical practices and abuse of dominance), dawn raids and compliance programmes.
Sphesihle has been involved in several high-profile global, continental and domestic antitrust/competition matters, and has conducted compliance audits and due diligence investigations on various multinational corporate entities. He has acted for clients in various industries including, food and agro-processing, healthcare, infrastructure and construction, banking and financial services, retail, automotive and mining sectors.
Representative Legal Matters
Merger Control / Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised and represented a leading multinational healthcare company in its acquisition of a multinational consumer healthcare business.
- Advised and represented a multinational construction and mining company in its disposal of various non-core businesses pursuant to a strategic business review exercise.
- Advised and represented a leading multinational pharmaceutical and life sciences company in its disposal of its animal healthcare business.
- Advised and represented a multinational coal and heavy minerals mining company in its disposal of one of its mines.
- Advised and represented a leading multinational services, trading and distribution company in its acquisition of a leading hygiene services provider in the United Kingdom and Spain.
- Advised and represented a leading multinational services, trading and distribution company in its travel cluster restructuring.
- Advised and represented a multinational conglomerate power tools and life sciences equipment company in its acquisition of the power grids business of a multinational corporation.
- Advised and represented a multinational steel products manufacturer on the restructuring and corporatisation of its various businesses for subsequent disposal.
- Named 'Top 100 Young Mandela in South Africa' by News24 (2018)
- Named 'Future Leader' by The Future Leader Forum (2018)
- Named 'Top 100 Most Influential Young South African' by Avance Media (2019)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of South Africa - Member
- Association of Competition Law Practitioners - Member
- High Court of South Africa (2018)
- University of Witswatersrand (LLB) (2015)
- Sotho, Southern