Sphesihle Nxumalo is an associate in Baker McKenzie's Antitrust & Competition Practice Group in Johannesburg. He is part of a multifirm, multijurisdictional team that won the Global Competition Review 2020 Award for Merger Control Matter of the Year for Asia Pacific, Middle East and Africa.
Sphesihle's experience spans the entire spectrum of antitrust and competition law across all African jurisdictions. He advises and represents blue chip multinational companies on high value and complex merger transactions, as well as on antitrust litigation relating to abuse of dominance, cartel conduct and vertical restraints. He has a wealth of experience in Industrials, Manufacturing and Transportation (IMT), Healthcare, Technology, Media and Telecommunications (TMT). In particular, he has acted for clients in diverse industries including healthcare and pharmaceuticals, banking, private equity, automotive, petroleum, mining and construction, aviation, consumer goods and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
Merger Control/Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised a leading multinational healthcare company in its acquisition of a multinational consumer healthcare business with a deal value USD 12.7 billion.
- Advised a multinational conglomerate power tools and life sciences equipment company in its acquisition of the power grids business of a multinational corporation with a deal value of USD 11 billion.
- Advised a leading multinational pharmaceutical and life sciences company in its disposal of its animal healthcare business with a deal value of USD 7.6 billion.
- Advised a leading multinational services, trading and distribution company in its acquisition of a leading hygiene services provider in the United Kingdom and Spain with a deal value of GBP 480 million.
- Advised a multinational construction and mining company in its multimillion rand disposals of various non-core businesses.
- Advised and represented various banking, automotive and shipping corporations in relation to allegations of cartel conduct.
- Advised and represented several financial institutions on various antitrust/competition law issues, including abuse of dominance and vertical restrictions.
- Advised and represented a South African medical scheme in relation to the Health Market Inquiry.
- Conducted a compliance audit and a due diligence investigation on various multinational corporations
- Named 'Top 100 Young Mandela in South Africa' by News24 (2018)
- Named 'Future Leader' by The Future Leader Forum (2018)
- Named 'Top 100 Most Influential Young South African' by Avance Media (2019)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of South Africa - Member
- Association of Competition Law Practitioners - Member
- South Africa (2018)
- University of London (Post Graduate Certificate Competition Law (Distinction)) (2020)
- University of Witswatersrand (LLB Dean's List) (2015)
- Sotho, Southern