Ngo Thai Ninh is a special counsel at the Hanoi office. Ninh has extensive experience in diverse areas including banking & project finance, capital market, private and public M&A, corporate governance compliance and dispute resolution. He has a profound understanding of the banking & project finance and corporate laws as well as the general legal landscape of Vietnam.
Ninh works extensively with major state-owned and international banks as well as domestic and international private equity funds active in or focusing on Vietnam. In addition, he has been active in foreign exchange transactions, swaps and derivatives and domestic and international dispute resolution.
Ninh has also authored and co-authored numerous publications covering a wide range of Vietnamese law topics and is a visiting lecture at the Judicial Academy of Vietnam.
Representative Legal Matters
Advised a group of regional lenders on a number of term loan facilities with an aggregate amount of more than USD 2 billion to the owner and operator of a petrochemical complex to finance the project cost of its integrated petrochemicals complex and ancillary facilities in Long Son Island, Ba Ria - Vung Tau Province, Southern Vietnam.
Advised BIM Wind Power Joint Stock Company on a syndicated facility arranged by Asian Development Bank, The Hong Kong Mortgage Corporation Limited, and Japan International Cooperation Agency to finance the project costs of its 88 MW wind farm in Ninh Thuan Province, Vietnam.
Real estate financing
Advised a Singaporean multinational banking corporation on a number of term loan facilities with an aggregate amount of USD 105.6 million to finance the projects costs of certain warehouses projects developed by certain Vietnam subsidiaries of a global real estate logistics provider and investment manager based in Singapore.
Advised the Vietnam subsidiary of a British banking and financial services company on a term loan facility of VND 700 billion to finance the acquisition of certain land plots in an industrial estate in Binh Duong Province, Vietnam by the Vietnam subsidiary of a real estate investment firm headquartered in Thailand.
Other types of financing
Advised the Singapore subsidiary of a British banking and financial services company on a term loan facility of USD 62 million with the option for an incremental facility of up to USD 83 million to finance certain educational investments of a Vietnam-based international education service provider.
Advised VNLIFE Corporation in its USD 250 million series B fund raising round led by General Atlantic and Dragoneer Investment Group, with participation from PayPal Ventures and EDBI, the corporate investment arm of Singapore's Economic Development Board.
Advised a South Korean chaebol on a number of high-profile transactions relating to its investment in Vietnam with an aggregate investment amount of nearly USD 2 billion.
Advised a Vietnamese private conglomerate in its potential divestment in certain renewable energy projects in Vietnam.
Advised the joint lead managers in the international bond issuance of Vietnamese Government in 2014 and 2015.
Advised a Vietnamese private conglomerate in its domestic bond issuance to The International Finance Corporation (IFC).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Hanoi Bar Association
- Hanoi (2018)
- Hanoi Law University (LLB) (2014)
- Visiting Lecture, Judicial Academy of Vietnam, 2022
- Author, “Government throws life jacket to bond issuers with legislation improvements,” Vietnam Investment Review, 2023
- Co-author, “Who should be responsible for bonds issued by Tan Thanh Long An Joint Stock Company,” Dau Tu Chung Khoan Magazine, 2023
- Co-author, “Vietnam chapter of the Asia Pacific Guide to Lending and Taking Security,” Baker McKenzie, 2022
- Co-author, “Identifying legal capacity of a branch in civil transactions,” Vietnam Law & Legal Forum Magazine, 2022
- Co-author, “COVID-19 and the issue on exemption of civil liability for breach of payment obligations under loan agreements,” Lap Phap Magazine, 2020
- Co-author, “Taking security over immoveable assets in renewable energy projects,” Vietnam Law & Legal Forum Magazine, 2020