Recently, Rani has been advising property clients on issues arising from the legal and commercial challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly for retail or other commercial leases. In her usual practice, Rani advises a range of clients on leasing issues, most commonly breaches such as failure to pay rent or outgoings or trade, rights to terminate, make good issues and problems arising from incorrect exercise of options or delivery of other notices. Rani also advises on issues arising from negotiations or performance of a contract for sale, including drafting termination notices.
She has a breadth of experience in general commercial and property litigation matters in state and federal jurisdictions within Australia, including claims for negligence, breach of lease, licence or contract, misleading conduct, in equity and under statute, in connection with disputes arising in fields such as property, technology, financial and professional services.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising property clients on issues arising from the legal and commercial challenges created by the COVID-19 pandemic, particularly for retail or other commercial leases.
- Advises an international supermarket chain extensively on commercial and retail leasing issues, including those arising from heads of agreement, outgoings, breach and termination of leases, market rent reviews, make good requirements and core landlord responsibilities such as occupier’s liability.
- Advises a multinational technology company that specializes in internet-related services and products in relation to property issues, including disputes arising from leasing arrangements (such as claiming unpaid outgoings by tenants) and from negotiations to purchase properties.
- Advised an American luxury jeweller and special goods retailer on its rights in a tenancy in the Sydney International Airport which had been significantly affected by COVID-19.
- Advised a small bar owner in relation to its rights under the COVID-19 retail leasing regulations and National Code of Conduct.
- Advised a local property developer on complex inter party issues arising from a contract for sale of a large shopping centre.
- Advised a real estate investment manager on a range of retail leasing disputes, including failure to pay rent and other breaches of leases and termination of leases.
- Advised Home Consortium on a range of issues arising from the assignment of leases following the acquisition of Masters.
- Advised an international delivery services company on the resolution of a dispute as to the parties’ make good obligations upon termination of a lease.
- Advised an international property developer regarding unauthorised promotion of their Melbourne property by a sales agent as being for sale.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales
- New South Wales~Australia (2007)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (2007)
- Università degli Studi di Scienze Gastronomiche (Master of Food Culture & Communication) (2009)
- University of New South Wales (Bachelor of Arts) (2007)
- University of New South Wales (Bachelor of Laws) (2007)