Reza advises clients on US federal income taxation with a focus on international tax planning and mergers and acquisitions. He has extensive experience advising clients on achieving tax efficiencies, the impact of changes in tax law, and risk minimization. He also regularly advises clients on tax structuring for global transactions, often as part of dispositions, acquisitions or legal entity rationalization projects. These projects are often cross-disciplinary and Reza oversees teams of lawyers in various jurisdictions and workstreams including corporate, employment, regulatory, and intellectual property, to ensure seamless and practical advice for clients.
Reza also advises companies on taxation of the digital economy, including taxation of FinTech and cryptocurrency/blockchain transactions, supply chain restructurings, transfer pricing and bankruptcy reorganizations. Since the enactment of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 and OECD's developments surrounding Pillar 1 and Pillar 2, Reza has been focused on helping companies navigate the impact of US and international tax reform and has advised on complex issues involving the foreign tax credits, BEAT, GILTI, FDII, Corporate AMT, excise tax on stock buybacks and Pillar 1 and Pillar 2.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a US publicly traded multinational company in a USD 4.8 billion acquisition and post-acquisition integration matters.
- Represented a US publicly traded pharmaceuticals company in one of the largest acquisitions in the industry and advised on post-acquisition integration matters.
- Represented a US publicly traded multibrand products manufacturer in its USD4 billion stock and asset sale in over 20 countries.
- Represented a US publicly traded pharmaceuticals company in its USD4 billion stock and asset sale in 39 countries.
- Represented a US publicly traded company in its USD700 million separation prior to an initial public offering.
- Represented a US publicly traded technology and manufacturing company in a USD1 billion stock and asset acquisition in over 30 countries.
- Represented a company in a USD1 billion joint venture alliance of two publicly traded US manufacturing companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New York~United States (2013)
- District of Columbia~United States (2006)
- Georgia~United States (2005)
- Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M. Taxation, Distinction) (2007)
- Emory University (J.D.) (2005)
- Schulich School of Business (B.A., Honors) (2000)
- Washington, DC