Her practice is focused on advising private companies in the execution of public infrastructure projects through different types of investment contracts with public entities of the three levels of government. Natalia advises concessionaires and investors integrally, from their participation in the corresponding bidding process for the award of the respective concession agreement and its contractual execution, to the solution of disputes that may arise between the investor and the state entity through national or international, commercial and investment arbitration.
Natalia has been part of the team that has successfully represented concessionary companies in more than six international commercial and investment arbitrations under the UNCITRAL, ICSID, CAIP arbitration rules, among others. She has led the defense on allegations of corruption in the framework of international arbitration of important municipal concessions in Lima.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Rutas de Lima in two international arbitrations against the Municipality of Lima regarding disputes related to its road infrastructure concession contract, obtaining a favorable award for the client in each case. The most recent arbitration included the defense of the validity of the concession contract itself against the municipality's claim for declaring its nullity.
- Advised Lima Expresa in two international arbitrations against the Municipality of Lima for disputes related to its road infrastructure concession contract, obtaining a partially favorable award for the client.
- Advised a telecommunications infrastructure concessionaire on potential claims in an investment arbitration against the Peruvian State.
- Advised Metro de Lima in an ICSID arbitration against the Peruvian State arising from contractual disputes within the framework of its concession contract for the construction, operation or maintenance of railway infrastructure in the city of Lima.
- Advised Merz, Inc. and Merz Pharma GMBH & Co. KGAA on an ICC international commercial arbitration against Fortis Advisors LLC, regarding a breach of commercial reasonable efforts under a merger agreement.
- Advised Petrobras on the preparation of an expert opinion by Lawrence W. Newman in a procedure opposing against the execution and enforcement of an AAA international arbitral award.
- Advised Republica del Ecuador on an international arbitration against a consortium composed by a Peruvian and Ecuadorian construction company, for breach of a contract to design and construct a binational water dam infrastructure in the PuyangoTumbes River.
- Advised TV Azteca S.A.B. de C.V., a major telecommunications operator, on regulatory matters during the execution of the concession agreement granted by Peru's Infrastructure Ministry to design, construct and operate the first fiber optic network in Peru covering the entire territory.
- Advised Metro de Lima Linea 2 S.A. on regulatory matters during the execution of the concession agreement granted by Peru's Infrastructure Ministry to develop Lima's new metro line, as well as in sanctioning proceedings initiated by the Municipality of Lima.
- Regularly advises a diverse group of private companies in sanctioning proceedings initiated by municipalities and regulatory agencies. Also advises in obtaining the necessary permits to comply with their obligations under the concession or agreements, among others.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lima Bar Association
- Arbitral Women
- Ius Et Veritas - Ius Et Veritas Law Review
- Peru (2014)
- New York University (LLM International Business Regulation Litigation and Arbitration, with merit-based scholarship) (2018)
- University of California, Davis (Summer Program International Law, Orientation in US Law) (2016)
- ESAN Graduate School of Business (International Diploma Course in Public-Private Partnership Projects) (2015)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Law Degree, Outstanding, summa cum laude) (2013)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú (Bachelor of Law, Class rank: 2/193) (2012)
- "¿Incentivo a la legalidad o impunidad? Acerca del eximente de responsabilidad por subsanación voluntaria". Published by Derecho y Sociedad No. 54 (2020).
- Speaker, "Gender Diversity in International Arbitration,” Brazilian Center of Mediation and Arbitration (CBMA) roadshow, New York, 2018.
- Assisted Lawrence W. Newman and David Zaslowsky, in their bimonthly column of international arbitration and litigation in the New York Law Journal (in the articles entitled: "Manifest Disregard of the Law,” "Fraud as a defense against enforcement of International Arbitral Awards,” "Attachment of Assets in Aid of Arbitration") (2018 2019).
- Co-author, Public Procurement Guide, Getting the Deal Through, 2014