Thato Mkhize is an associate designate in Baker McKenzie's Dispute Resolution Practice Group in Johannesburg. Prior to joining the Firm, Thato acted as the regulatory and supervisory compliance manager to a leading South African financial services group for its 17 African jurisdictions.
Thato assists corporate and commercial clients in all aspects relating to commercial litigation and dispute resolution. She also assists clients on the implementation of regulatory, general compliance and data protection requirements. Thato has appeared before the Competition Tribunal of South Africa in merger proceedings on behalf of the South African Competition Authorities.
Representative Legal Matters
- Assisted a South African diversified construction group in ICC arbitration proceedings in a dispute concerning the completion of a multi-shaft combined cycle configuration consisting of two gas turbines, two HRSGs, a single steam turbine with a nominal installed capacity of 340MW in Ghana.
- Assisted a producer and supplier of animal feed and associated products in the Southern African region in arbitration proceedings in a dispute relating to alleged discrepancies in pricing and rebates provided, the provision of substandard products and non-performance.
- Assisted a fire installation services company in a dispute concerning the installation of construction works to the amount of ZAR 7,428,748.48.
- Acted for the competition authorities in a competition tribunal adjudication proceedings relating to the acquisition of a South African golf and cycling equipment manufacturer by an international long-term savings, banking and investment group.
- South Africa (2021)
- University of the Witwatersrand (Post Graduate Certificate Risk, Compliance and Governance) (2017)
- University of the Witwatersrand (Post Graduate Certificate Economics for Law) (2017)
- University of the Witwatersrand (Post Graduate Certificate Competition Law) (2016)
- University of the Free State (LLB) (2014)