Baker & McKenzie LLP
Dubai – Registered Legal Consultant
Reggie Mezu is a Senior Special Counsel in Baker McKenzie’s Dubai office. He focuses on corporate tax and has practiced tax for nearly 30 years, including in the UAE for 15 years. He has multi-jurisdictional and multi-disciplinary professional qualifications in law, accountancy and taxation.
Reggie advises on corporate direct and indirect tax matters, with a particular focus on cross-border and transactional work across the Middle East and Africa. He concentrates on the tax aspects of corporate and business structures and also regularly participates in various initiatives aimed at enhancing the tax regimes of developing countries.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining the Firm, Reggie handled the following matters:
- Advised on the tax and business regulatory aspects of setting up a trading platform for a group’s extensive Middle East and Africa operations, including coordinating advice on the applicable regimes in the various jurisdictions.
- Advised on the tax and regulatory aspects as well as the development of the legal framework for a cross-border oil pipeline involving three Middle East countries.
- Advised on the tax and business regulatory issues concerning the integration of business operations in Middle East, North Africa and West African countries, following the merger of two groups headquartered in different North European countries, working with tax advisers in the various countries covered.
- Advised a Swiss based global printing hardware and software group on the tax implications of its operations in various Middle East and North African countries, and on tax efficient options for its proposed Middle East central distribution structure, working with advisers in the various countries.
- Advised a large UAE property development group on the tax and business regulatory implications of conducting sales promotion activities specific to 15 countries in the Middle East, South Asia and Africa, working with advisers in the relevant countries.
- Advised on the Middle East and Africa aspects of a project for an executive private jet firm on its operations in certain countries in both regions.
- Advised a major global financial services group on the tax implications of structures to manage the assets of high net worth individuals located in four GCC countries, including coordinating the advice of local counsel in the relevant countries.
- Advised various groups (mainly headquartered in the US, France, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland) on the tax implications and risks relating setting up in the Middle East and on their operations in the region.
- Advised on the tax consequences of the capital restructuring by a major retail outlet brand of its operations in a number of countries in the Middle East (including the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Pakistan, Syria and Iran).
- Advised a number of oilfield service companies and engineering companies on the tax and business regulatory aspects for setting up operations in various frontier countries in the Middle East and Africa.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- Chartered Institute of Taxation (United Kingdom) - Member
- Institute of Chartered Accountants (Nigeria) - Member
- England & Wales (Solicitor) (1997)
- Nigeria (1983)
- London School of Economics (LLM) (1984)