Jochen Meyer-Burow is a German attorney at law with a Master degree in German Tax Law, and an LL.M. in Indirect Taxation and Information Technology Law of the University of London.
Mr. Meyer-Burow frequently authors legal articles and comments on current VAT matters in domestic and international publications. He is a regular contributor of the VAT advisor journal in Germany (UStB) and a commentator in the upcoming HDS-commentary for German value added taxes. Mr. Meyer-Burow is a Member of the firms European VAT Steering Committee and was an active member of Baker McKenzie’s European Indirect Tax Practice which received the first European Indirect Tax Firm of the Year Award. He has been listed among leading Indirect Tax Experts for several years (International Tax Review). Together with Baker McKenzie’s German Tax Practice Group, he was nominated for several Juve Awards, contributing one of his larger retail-related cases he shared in the European Media & Entertainment Tax Team of the Year Award for Baker McKenzie in 2012 (ITR).
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Meyer-Burow worked as a VAT attorney with PricewaterhouseCoopers and KPMG in Germany, and as legal counsel in New York and London.
- The Best Lawyers in Germany 2022 edition for Tax Law
Professional Associations and Memberships
- German Value Added Tax Forum
- German Association of Attorneys
- Germany (2000)
- University of London (LL.M.) (2003)
- Superior Court of Dusseldorf (Second State Exam) (1998)
- University of Osnabrueck (Master's Degree Tax Law) (1996)
- University of Heidelberg (First State Exam) (1995)
- Co-author (with Benjamin Bergau), "Tour Operator Margin Scheme," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 9 February 2021
- Co-author (mit Michael Connemann), "Zeitliche Grenzen der Option zur Steuerpflicht bei Grundstücksumsätzen – zugliech Anmerkungen zum Urteil des BFH v. 21.10.2015 – XI R 40/13", MwStR 20/2016, Seite 831 - 835
- Co-author, "Sorgfaltspflichten des Unternehmers zur Beachtung des gemeinschaftsrechtlichen Missbrauchsverbots", UStB, pages 356 - 364, December 2014
- Co-author, "Grenzüberschreitend Rechnungen ausstellen", Zoll Export, pages 18-21, August 2014
- Co-author, "Resolving VAT controversies: specific remedies and hints", Tax Planning International: Indirect Taxes, Bloomberg BNA, Volume 12 Number 7, July 2014