Frank Meier is a special counsel in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong office and a member of the Firm's Banking & Finance Practice Group.
Frank’s practice focuses primarily on banking regulatory and advisory matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a number of investors and financial institutions on applications for virtual banking licences in Hong Kong.
- Advised a major financial institution on the establishment of its Hong Kong prepaid card program, advising on its card-related terms and conditions and assisting in the making of submissions to the Hong Kong Monetary Authority (HKMA) on licensing-related matters.
- Advised a major e-commerce retailer on the offering of virtual prepaid card facilities in connection with its e-commerce platform, including the making of submissions to the HKMA in connection with the public consultation on a proposed new regulatory regime for stored value facilities and retail payment systems.
- Represented Yuexiu Enterprises (Holdings) Limited in its acquisition of a 75% interest in Chong Hing Bank Limited.
- Represented the Hong Kong branches of The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi, Ltd. and UFJ Bank Limited in the merger of the two institutions.
- Represented Fubon Financial Holdings Co., Ltd. in its acquisition of a Hong Kong-incorporated financial institution.
- Advised on various other acquisitions/proposed acquisitions of shares or assets of financial institutions in Hong Kong.
- Provided regulatory advice to Hong Kong and overseas-incorporated banks and other financial institutions/intermediaries, including assisting with banking, money broker and stored value card-related licensing and exemption applications to the HKMA and general compliance matters.
- Assisted various banks with the review and preparation of their standard facility documentation.
- Assisted a major APAC bank with preparing the terms and conditions for their online banking platform for corporate customers and the standard terms and conditions for corporate banking services offered by bank group entities in multiple jurisdictions (including, among others, Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, the PRC, Taiwan and India).
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2001)
- Hong Kong (2000)
- City University of Hong Kong (P.C.LL.) (1998)
- University of London (LL.B.) (1996)
- The University of Hong Kong (Diploma Legal Studies) (1994)
- Humboldt University of Berlin (Master's Degree) (1987)
Baker & McKenzie, a Hong Kong partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.