Peter McMahon is a senior consultant in the Sydney office of Baker & McKenzie where he focuses on stamp duty, GST structuring and advisory work. Peter has been in legal practice since 1976, and is widely recognized as one of Australia’s leading indirect tax lawyers.
Peter was previously a partner and consultant with a multinational professional services firm from 2006 to 2015, and prior to that a partner with a leading international law firm from 1997 to 2006.
Peter's practice focus is on the stamp duty and GST implications of commercial transactions, including infrastructure projects, M&A and private equity transactions, corporate restructures, commercial property, funds management, financing and mining and resources transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising Federal and State Government agencies on major infrastructure and privatisation projects (including Western Sydney Airport, WestConnex Project, Sydney Cross City Tunnel, and the sale of NSW electricity retail and generation assets).
- Advising Pfizer Inc in respect of major global restructures and asset disposals.
- Advising Brookfield Asset Management Inc on the takeovers of Thakral Ltd and Multiplex Ltd.
- Advising Goldman Sachs on the acquisition of the Redcape Property Trust.
- Advising Newcastle City Council on the restructure of Newcastle Airport.
- Advising DuPont on various acquisitions and disposals.
- Advising Frasers on the takeover of Australand.
- Advising Sekisui House on the development of Central Park, Sydney.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of New South Wales - Member
- Tax Institute - Former Chairperson and Current Member, NSW Office of State Revenue Liaison Committee
- Tax Institute - Chartered Tax Advisor (CTA)
- New South Wales~Australia (1976)
- High Court of Australia~Australia (1976)
- University of Sydney (LL.M.) (1986)
- University of New South Wales (LL.B.) (1976)
- University of New South Wales (Bachelor of Commerce) (1973)