Ben McLaughlin is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Sydney office. He has over 25 years' experience in advising leading Australian and international public companies on mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and equity capital markets. Ben invented the Baker McKenzie Healthcare MapApp, an acclaimed mobile application that enables clients to access over 5,000 pages of legal summaries. He has been recognized by Chambers for his work in Australian and international M&A matters, as well as in healthcare and life sciences. Ben has also been recognised as "Lawyer of the Year" for Life Sciences Practice in Sydney and as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia for Corporate / Corporate Governance and M&A Law, Best Lawyers 2022 Edition.
Ben is admitted to practice law in Australia and the US, and previously practised as a CPA.
Representative Legal Matters
Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Advised a leading private equity firm on its acquisition of i-Med Network, one of the world’s largest medical imaging clinic groups, for over AUD 500 million.
- Counseled Reckitt Benckiser on the reorganisation and spin-off of its pharmaceutical division.
- Advised Baxter Healthcare on the reorganisation and spin-off of its biopharma division.
- Counseled Ramsay Health Care on its AUD 500 million joint venture in Asia with Sime Darby.
- Advised Hospira on its AUD 2.7 billion takeover of Mayne Pharma, Australia’s largest healthcare M&A transaction.
- Counseled Sonic Healthcare on the AUD 400 million acquisition of Clinical Pathology Laboratories.
- Advised Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation on its AUD 4.13 billion acquisition of Colonial First State Global Asset Management from Commonwealth Bank.
- Advised Bunka Shutter Co., Ltd. on its AUD 50-100 million acquisition of ArcPac Garage Doors from Crescent Capital Partners.
- Advised Japan Pulp and Paper Co., Ltd. on its AUD 75 million acquisition of a 51% interest in a newly formed entity, known as PagePack. PagePack comprises BJ Ball and the KW Doggett groups in Australia and New Zealand.
- Advised Daiwa House Industry Co., Ltd on its AUD 300-400 million acquisition of the Rawson Group.
- Advised Recruit Holdings on its AUD 350 million acquisition of Chandlers Macleod (scheme of arrangement).
- Advised Recruit Holdings on its AUD 150 million acquisition of Peoplebank.
- Key individual for Corporate/M&A in Australia, Chambers Asia Pacific
- Notable practitioner for Life Sciences in Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia Pacific
- Recognised as "Lawyer of the Year" for Life Sciences Practice in Sydney, 2022, Best Lawyers
- Also recognised as one of the Best Lawyers in Australia for Corporate/Corporate Governance and Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Best Lawyers 2022 Edition
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce - Health Committee
- Australian Institute of Company Directors - Law Committee
- New York~United States (1992)
- New South Wales~Australia (1987)
- Queensland~Australia (1987)
- University of Sydney (Master of Laws LL.M.) (1994)
- New York University (Master of Laws LL.M. Corporate) (1991)
- University of Queensland (LL.B., Honors) (1986)
- University of Queensland (BComm) (1981)