Sarah Mavula is an associate in Baker McKenzie's International Commercial Practice Group in the Toronto office. Prior to joining the Firm, Sarah was an in-house counsel for a national payment card network.
Sarah practices regulatory compliance. She advises Canadian and international clients in the areas of competition and antitrust law, foreign investment law, marketing and advertisement, privacy and data protection, and IT and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a major data communications company on Canadian competition and foreign investment law on its acquisition of a video surveillance company.
- Represented a major private equity fund on Canadian competition and foreign investment law in its acquisition of a leading supplier of injection molding equipment and services.
- Advised a global job search engine in connection with the acquisition of a local job search engine, including commercial issues associated with the acquisition of the accompanying social media accounts.
- Advised a leading luxury wine and spirit company on its Canadian alcohol marketing practices.
- Advised a major consumer goods company on its marketing practices with respect to Quebec’s French language requirements.
- Advised a leading video game platform in connection with its Canadian expansion, focusing on Canadian youth protection laws, and related privacy and marketing laws.
- Advised a major pharmaceutical company on its consent requirements under Canadian health privacy laws in connection with its creation of a new patient experience, which would provide care through the use of artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Registered a global technology company as a telecommunications service provider with Canada’s telecommunications regulator and advised on related reporting, licensing, payment and other obligations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (2016)
- Ottawa University (J.D.) (2015)
- Ottawa University (BSc. Biopharmaceutical Sciences) (2012)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.