As part of her competition/antitrust practice, Sarah regularly advises clients in a variety of industries on Canadian and international merger control, foreign investment and national security in corporate and commercial transactions. Her extensive experience in foreign investment matters under the Investment Canada Act includes assisting clients with the preparation of review applications and notifications in both cultural and non-cultural sectors, drafting and negotiating undertakings, and identifying strategic approaches to national security clearance.
As part of her complimentary practice, Sarah advises international and Canadian clients in various regulatory areas focused on marketing and advertisement, food and telecommunications.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Hitachi on Canadian competition and foreign investment law in its USD 8.1 billion acquisition of ABB's power grids business (the largest-ever acquisition by a Japanese industrial company).
- Represented Impala Platinum Holdings Limited, one of the world’s foremost producers of platinum, on Canadian merger control filings and foreign investment law in its acquisition of North American Palladium.
- Represented a leading US-based hospitality group in its merger clearance of its non-notifiable acquisition of a Canadian target.
- Advised DIF Capital Partners on the Canadian foreign investment and merger control filings in connection with its acquisition, through DIF Infrastructure V, of BluEarth Renewables LP from Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan.
- Represented Platinum Equity in its USD 3.8 billion acquisition of Husky IMS International Ltd., the Canada-headquartered global leader in the manufacture and supply of injection molding equipment to the plastics industry. The acquisition involved obtaining both merger clearance under the Competition Act and foreign investment approval under the Investment Canada Act.
- Advised a leading US-based data communications and telecommunications equipment provider on its USD 1.2 billion cross-border acquisition of a Canadian manufacturer of advanced video surveillance solutions listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Represented a major private equity fund on Canadian competition and foreign investment law in its acquisition of a leading supplier of injection molding equipment and services.
- Advised a leading luxury wine and spirit company of its Canadian alcohol marketing practices.
- Advised a leading video game platform in connection with its Canadian expansion, focusing on Canadian youth protection laws, and related privacy and marketing laws.
- Provide ongoing advice to a major consumer goods company on its cross-border marketing practices with respect to Quebec’s French language requirements.
- Provide ongoing advice to major food manufacturers regarding their food regulatory and marketing requirements.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Ontario~Canada (2016)
- Ottawa University (J.D.) (2015)
- Ottawa University (BSc. Biopharmaceutical Sciences) (2012)
Co-author, “The Virtual Highway – Smart Cars Driven by Smart Data," b:INFORM, a Baker & McKenzie digital magazine designed for privacy and technology professionals
Contributor, Canadian chapter of “The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Cybersecurity 2018," ICLG, 2018