Mr. Martin advises clients on corporate ethics and compliance issues including, anti-bribery and corruption, fraud, financial crime, anti-money laundering, trade sanctions, consumer protection and privacy law.
Mr. Martin has extensive experience managing multinational fraud, corruption and sanctions investigations, including experience in the UK, Europe, Africa, the Middle East, Asia and North and South America. He has advised clients before enforcement authorities, regulators, and prosecutors in the US, the UK and elsewhere. He conducts compliance training and writes about compliance and investigations issues, best practices and developments in English and US law.
Mr. Martin works with multinational clients in numerous industry sectors (including manufacturing, technology, professional services and retail), to conduct compliance risk assessments, and to design, draft, implement and test effective internal compliance programs and codes of business conduct around the globe. He also advises clients on compliance risks and mitigation in operations, acquisitions and post-merger compliance integration.
Mr. Martin’s practice also includes commercial disputes, and litigation including contract disputes with suppliers, subcontractors, and government departments. He has broad non-contentious experience in drafting and negotiating IT supply, services (including outsourcing), support and maintenance, and other commercial agreements, and advising on commercial, regulatory and consumer protection issues.
Representative Legal Matters
- Conducting multinational corporate criminal and compliance investigations including investigation project management, conducting investigative witness interviews in numerous countries, managing complex and voluminous investigative document review, conducting and managing investigative due diligence, and managing whistleblowers.
- Advising on strategy concerning corporate voluntary disclosures of potential compliance violations to prosecutors and enforcement authorities, in complex multilateral enforcement actions.
- Drafting and advising on compliance policies and procedures and conducting training on various compliance topics including: codes of business conduct/ethics, anti-corruption (FCPA and UK Bribery Act), gifts and hospitality, lobbying and government interactions, third party due diligence and transactional compliance warranties, supply chain compliance, trade and sanctions compliance, whistleblower hotline and reporting, compliance monitoring, auditing, and internal investigation protocol and best practices.
- Advising clients on compliance remediation and program enhancement following established legal violation, internal investigation or government enforcement action.
- Conducting global, and local compliance risk assessments and advising on and recommending compliance program design, implementation and enhancement.
- Conducting and analyzing compliance due diligence in anticipation of acquisitions or joint ventures in high risk markets.
- Drafting and negotiating compliance clauses in services contracts and deal documents.
- Spending time on secondment to the legal department of a major supplier of consultancy and IT services assisting with all aspects of the company’s litigation, dispute management and resolution as well as with internal investigations.
- New York~United States (2016)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2009)
- Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (L.P.C.) (2006)
- Oxford University (B.A. Law) (2005)