Mag. Valentin Marginter is an associate at the Dispute Resolution Practice Group at Baker McKenzie's Vienna office, focusing on international arbitration. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Valentin worked at a highly ranked arbitration practice of a renowned Swiss law firm. He also gained experience working for one of the largest Austrian law firms, focusing on EU and competition law.
Valentin successfully competed in the 26th Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot, with his team winning the Werner Melis Award for the Best Memorandum for Respondent, and being the second runner up for the Best Memorandum for Claimant, both out of more than 370 participating teams. He is currently pursuing a PhD at the University of Vienna, with his research focusing at certain interplays between EU competition law and arbitration.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing a large US food producer in a post-M&A dispute before both arbitral tribunals under the ICC rules as well as Austrian state courts.
- Representing a Kosovar state-owned company against another Kosovar company in an arbitration under the Swiss Rules, relating to a contractual dispute that includes allegations of corruption.
- Representing a Maltese holding company against the insolvency administrator of its subsidiary regarding the repayment of loans.
- Representing an Austrian supermarket chain in several litigations against a former franchisee.
- Representing a US insurance company in a commercial arbitration before a tribunal seated in Zurich.
- Advising and representing a Middle Eastern company in an investment dispute with a Middle Eastern country.
- Representing a Turkish logistics company before the European Court of Justice.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Young Austrian Arbitration Practitioners (YAAP) – Member
- Austrian Arbitration Association (ArbAut) – Member
- Switzerland Very Young Arbitration Practitioners (Swiss VYAP) - Member
- University of Vienna (Mag. iur.) (2020)
- Co-author (with Brian Gabriel-Oiwoh), "Enforceability of ICSID Additional Facility Awards in Austria," Kluwer Arbitration Blog, February 2023
- Co-author (with Brian Gabriel-Oiwoh), "Vollstreckbarkeit von Schiedssprüchen unter der ICSID-Zusatzfazilität nach dem NYÜ," ecolex 2023/28: OGH 8.9.2022