Mariana Marchuk has about 20 years of practical experience in the areas of labor and migration, compliance and anti-corruption, commercial and international trade law, M&A and pharmaceutical regulation. Ms. Marchuk joined Baker McKenzie’s Kyiv office in 1997 as an associate. From 1999 to 2004 she worked in Moscow, as an associate for a major Wall Street law firm and subsequently for Baker McKenzie. In 2004, she returned to the Firm’s Kyiv office and in 2010 she became a counsel.
Ms. Marchuk advises Ukrainian and foreign clients on labor and migration law, focusing on employee compensation, terminations, transfers, data protection, and employee privacy. She is also experienced in dispute resolution and internal investigations, compliance and anti-corruption, international trade and commerce, consumer protection, mergers and acquisitions, information technology, and in matters concerning the pharmaceutical and healthcare sector.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised A.S. Watson Group, retail and manufacturing division of the listed Hong Kong-based conglomerate, Hutchison Whampoa Limited, on the acquisition of DC Ukraine, a major health and beauty retailer with more than 100 stores nationwide.
- Advised ArcelorMittal on labor law issues in the privatization of Kryviy Rih Mining and metallurgical mill Kryvorizhstal.
- Advised the shareholders of UkrSibbank on labor and employment issues related to the bank’s acquisition by BNP Paribas.
- Advised a leading international software manufacturer on various employment law matters, including collective labor agreement, employment of foreigners, HR records requirements, employments agreements and termination.
- Advised a US-based life insurance company on employment of foreign nationals in Ukraine.
- Advised a major UK investment bank on the privatization of the Ukrainian energy industry.
- Advised a major transnational oil and gas company on access to gas transit systems in Ukraine.
- Advised major European and US energy companies on the acquisition of Ukrainian energy companies.
- Advised a large investment company on the acquisition of a modern wine bottle producer in Moldova.
- Advising a US food industry giant, a major multinational agricultural products trader and numerous pharma companies and investment funds on pre-purchase compliance due diligence of their Ukrainian targets.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kyiv City Bar - Member
- Ukraine (1995)
- Marshall-Wyth School of Law of the College of William and Mary (LL.M. American Legal System) (1996)
- Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University (Jurist) (1995)