Charles Magerman co-chairs the Corporate and Finance Practice Group in Baker McKenzie's Toronto office. He focuses on corporate law as well as M&A and finance matters. An Acritas Star Lawyer, Charles received the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee Medal for his contributions to Canada. He was an adjunct professor in the University of Western Ontario’s Faculty of Law, where he lectured on international business transactions. He authored the chapter on cross-border financings in the Ultimate Corporate Counsel Guide and is an active speaker at numerous conferences by Canadian federal and Ontario provincial government authorities.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised a Canada-headquartered borrower on its USD 300 million cross-border syndicated secured financing.
- Advised on the sale of a Canada-based multinational corporation valued at USD 975 million.
- Advising multinational corporations on their legal needs in Canada and internationally.
- Represented an Australian public corporation with respect to the accession by its Canadian subsidiaries to a global financing as well as the provision of guarantees and related security.
- Represented on the financing arrangements of a large multinational manufacturer which permitted it to emerge from bankruptcy protection.
- Assisted several large multinational corporations in corporate reorganizations related to the integration of newly acquired subsidiaries.
- Represented several multinational corporations with the de-merger/spinoff of significant parts of their businesses.
- Assisting a Canada-based company in several global corporate reorganizations.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of Ontario - Certified Specialist in Commercial and Corporate Law
- Canadian Bar Association - Member
- Ontario~Canada (1989)
- Queen's University (LL.B.) (1987)
- University of Toronto (B.A.) (1984)