Richard Lustig — a partner in the Firm’s Melbourne office — is the Australian head of mergers and acquisitions and has 30 years experience in acting for bidders and targets. Richard focuses on public mergers and acquisitions including takeovers and schemes of arrangements, as well as initial public offerings and capital raisings. Richard is recognized as a leading recommended lawyer by Chambers Global, APL500, Chambers Asia Pacific, Best Lawyers in Australia, Doyles and IFLR. Chambers Global recognizes Richard's prominence in takeover transactions and those conducted by schemes of arrangement.
Richard focuses his practice on takeovers, other public mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, capital raisings, commercial agreements and corporate governance advice. He also works with clients on listing rules compliance, Corporations Act advice, as well as Australian and international capital restructurings. Richard coordinates the relationship with many companies using Baker McKenzie worldwide, and travels frequently in the Asia Pacific region, including to Japan. Richard acts as the Baker McKenzie relationship partner for numerous clients, and enjoys close relationships with them and their corporate advisers.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for acquirers and listed companies in initiating and defending takeovers.
- Acting on schemes of arrangement and other mergers and acquisitions.
- Acted for numerous parties in the Takeovers Panel.
- Advising on cross-border acquisitions and transactions.
- Advising on a broad range of capital raisings.
- Advising on numerous listings on the ASX and other securities exchanges.
- Victoria~Australia (1990)
- Securities Institute of Australia (Graduate Diploma) (1999)
- Melbourne University (LL.B., Honours) (1989)
- Melbourne University (Bachelor of Commerce) (1988)
- Co-author, "Breaking Up is Hard to Do - Lessons from Perpetual's Bid for Pendal," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 24 November 2022
- Co-author, "Process Deeds in Australian Public M&A Transactions," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 21 November 2022
- Co-author, "The Acquisition of a More Than 20% Stake Using the ASIC Approved Tender Offer Process," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 2 November 2022
- Co-author, "Australian de-SPAC Transactions - A New Opportunity," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 14 September 2021
- Co-author, "Foreign Investment in Australia: The New National Security Regime," Legal Era Magazine, March 2021
- Co-author, "Global Public M&A Guide," Baker McKenzie, June 2020
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.