Pornapa Luengwattanakit currently leads Baker McKenzie’s Corporate & Commercial, Tax, as well as the International Trade, Compliance & Customs practice groups in Thailand. She practices mainly in the areas of corporate restructuring, major projects, mergers and acquisitions and trade competition. Ms. Luengwattanakit joined Baker McKenzie in 1982 and became a partner in 1989.
Ms. Luengwattanakit advises multinational clients in corporate and commercial matters. She is exceptionally fluent in international trade law, and has successfully assisted Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Indian and Malaysian companies on a wide range of related matters. Ms. Luengwattanakit is well-regarded in the areas of taxation and customs, particularly with regard to foreign investments in Thailand. She routinely advises multinational and local companies across various industries on tax, customs and transfer pricing matters.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising international companies on anti-dumping investigations, sunset reviews, and international trade agreements, including trade regulations, WTO-related matters, safeguard measures and rules of origin.
- Acted for a number of multinational companies with regard to concession and management agreements, primarily with the Provincial Waterworks Authority (PWA) for projects in Bangkok and nearby provinces.
- Acting for multinational and local companies in industries ranging from telecommunications and pharmaceuticals to trade, commerce, construction, and infrastructure in tax and customs issues and transfer pricing. She has also supported various companies in the defense of tax and customs assessments and investigations.
- Assisted an American insurance company with the acquisition of a Thai life assurance company listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.
- Advising clients in various industries (manufacturing, distribution, pharmaceutical, automobile, aviation, etc.) on Trade Competition Law issues that may arise from their commercial arrangements with business partners, such as agreements with suppliers and customers/distributors.
- Assisting clients in various industries (manufacturing, pharmaceutical, and cosmetic) in conducting compliance reviews to assess risk of violating the Trade Competition Law and provide comments on observations and recommendations.
- Advising and providing legal advice and review to clients in various industries on various compliance issues including Trade Competition Law, as well as preparing or providing comments on internal and external documents, agreements, guidelines, and policies from a compliance perspective, and conducting in-house training on such compliance matters.
- Providing legal advice and assistance to clients in relation to trade competition complaints filed with the regulator, including assistance in preparing all documentation required and giving statements to the regulator.
- External Counsel of the Year, ASIAN- MENA Counsel, In-House Community, 2012
- Recommended Lawyer in Tax, PLC Which Lawyer?, Thailand Yearbook, 2006-2009
- Recommended Lawyer in Tax, PLC’s Global 500, 2006
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Thai Bar Association
- Law Society of Thailand
- Trade Competition Commission - former Member
- Thailand Board of Trade - former Vice Chairman, Tax Committee
- Thailand Board of Trade - former Chairman, Custom Subcommittee
- National Legislative Assembly - former Secretary to the Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Labor
- National Legislative Assembly - former Member, Subcommittee on Public Revenue Collection under the Standing Committee on Economics, Monetary Affairs and Finance
- National Legislative Assembly - former Member, Subcommittee on Commerce under the Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Labor
- International Competition Network - former Non-Governmental Adviser
- Thailand (1982)
- Harvard Law School (LL.M.) (1989)
- Harvard Law School (Certificate International Tax) (1989)
- University of Texas at Dallas (Certificate Comparative American Law) (1986)
- Thammasat University (LL.B.) (1982)