Mr. Lipeles practices in the area of corporate tax law, with an emphasis on international tax planning. He joined the firm in 1996 and became a partner in 1999. From 1993 to 1996, Mr. Lipeles was an associate at the law firm of Jenner & Block. From 1994 to 1996, he was also an Adjunct Professor at IIT/Chicago Kent College of Law, where he taught classes on International Taxation and other subjects. Mr. Lipeles served as a law clerk to the Honorable E. Grady Jolly of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit in 1992 and 1993.
Representative Legal Matters
Mr. Lipeles advises US-based multinational corporations in connection with international tax planning and global tax projects. He also represents taxpayers in tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions. For instance, Mr. Lipeles represented a coalition of taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service requesting and ultimately obtaining changes to the proposed Bausch & Lomb regulations. Mr. Lipeles works with a wide variety of industries, ranging from high tech and biotechnology firms in the Silicon Valley to traditional manufacturing and entertainment companies.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Section on Taxation
- State Bar of California
- California~United States (1997)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois~United States (1993)
- U.S. Tax Court~United States (1993)
- Illinois~United States (1992)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit~United States (1992)
- University of Chicago (J.D. Honors) (1992)
- Rice University (B.A. cum laude) (1989)
- San Francisco
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.