Theo Ling is a partner in Baker McKenzie’s Toronto office. He heads the Firm's Canadian Information Technology/Communications (IT/C) Practice Group and is a senior member of the Global IT/C Practice Group, which is top ranked by Chambers & Partners in each of the areas of data protection, outsourcing, and technology and communications. Theo’s international commercial/regulatory practice is focused on technology-based issues and the converging computer, internet and communications industries.
Theo is recognized for his creative, pragmatic, and solution-based approach, which he applies when helping market leading businesses develop and implement effective global strategies to: support multijurisdictional commercial activities and manage complex cross-border compliance risks. He is chair of the Firm's Global Privacy and Information Management Steering Committee and is a lead editor of the Global Privacy Handbook, Baker McKenzie's highly regarded resource for international data privacy laws and trends. Theo is the coordinator of BakerGPS (Global Privacy Strategy), a virtual privacy think-tank and also serves on the Advisory Council for Nymity, a leading privacy-research firm and Panel of Experts for DataGuidance, a publisher of global data protection and privacy compliance information. He was also recently elected as co-chair of the IAPP KnowledgeNet.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises software and hardware manufacturers on a wide range of computer-related issues involving the sale and license of technology, acquisition of technology companies, outsourcing, and software development and consulting arrangements.
- Advises multinational corporate clients with respect to international commercial and regulatory compliance, privacy, information management, encryption, digital signature and electronic commerce issues.
- Advises providers of internet-based services, as well as corporate clients that utilize internet-based services, on issues related to websites, protection of intellectual property, domain names, licensing issues and electronic commerce.
- Advises clients on a variety of issues relating to the regulation of telecommunication services in Canada and on a multijurisdictional basis.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- International Technology Law Association (ITechLaw)
- Canadian Uniform Law Conference Subcommittee on Electronic Commerce
- Toronto Lawyers Computer Group - Information Security Committee
- Canadian Bar Association
- Hong Kong Canada Business Association
- Law Society of Ontario
- IT Canada Law Associate - Former Director and Chair of Privacy Sub-Committee
- American Bar Association - Electronic Commerce Division
- Canada China Business Council
- Computer Law Association
- Ontario~Canada (1994)
- Queen's University (LL.B.) (1992)
- London School of Economics and Political Science (Master of Arts International Relations) (1989)
- University of Toronto (B.A. International Relations) (1988)
Baker & McKenzie LLP, an Ontario limited liability partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.