Gerald Lam is a senior associate in Baker McKenzie's Hong Kong Investigations, Compliance & Ethics Group, and specializes in international risk and investigations. He is experienced in advising multinational clients on global compliance matters in relation to cross-border investments and operations, anti-bribery and corruption, international economic sanctions, AML and financial fraud, with a special focus on the financial services, private equity, life sciences and TMT sectors.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, he previously worked for a top global law firm based in Hong Kong.
Representative Legal Matters
Compliance and Regulatory Counselling
- Advised Altimeter Growth Capital (Nasdaq: "AGC"), a special purpose acquisition company, as international risk compliance counsel on its merger and plan to take Grab Holdings public in the US.
- Advised Cushman & Wakefield (NYSE: CWK), a leading global real estate services firm, as compliance counsel in the formation of a new asset services company with Vanke Service.
- Advised a NYSE-listed global alternative investment fund in relation to sanctions and corruption risks in relation to an investment in a multinational reinsurance company.
- Advised SF REIT as international risk counsel in relation to its global offering and listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised MiCare HealthTEC Holdings (a subsidiary of Zuellig Pharma) as international compliance counsel on the USD 60 million strategic investment by Mitsui & Co. and International Finance Corporation.
- Advised Apax Partners as international risk counsel in relation to the acquisition of a controlling stake in Healthium Medtech, a leading India-based medical devices company; this is the first unitranche financing for an Asia leveraged buy-out.
- Conducted an anti-corruption and sanctions compliance review and risk assessment of a leading global private equity firm’s investment portfolios in India.
- Advised an investment management firm and the consortium offeror on sanctions and international risk in the proposed privatization of a multinational supply-chain management company listed on the HKSE.
- Providing international risk advice to a NYSE-listed investment management company focusing on the development of digital payments, digital finance and marketing technology platforms.
- Advised a prominent asset investment firm on international anti-corruption and sanctions risks in relation to a controlling investment in an infrastructure investment trust in India.
- Advised Casetify as international compliance counsel in its strategic investment by C Ventures.
- Assisted a global insurance company listed on the LSE/NYSE/HKSE on an investigation into whistleblower allegations of significant systemic financial irregularities and fraud relating to its global digital platform business in the UK, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries.
- Conducted an internal investigation into whistle-blower allegations of financial irregularity and fraudulent misconduct relating to its portfolio investments in Saudi Arabia and the Middle East in relation to an asset management services platform established by a NY-listed global investment firm.
- Conducted an anti-bribery and internal controls investigation for a prominent global alternative asset investment firm in relation to potential allegations of large-scale fraud and misconduct relating to its portfolio investment in Saudi Arabia.
- Conducted multiple anti-bribery, books and records/internal controls investigations for a major U.S.-listed pharmaceutical, medical devices, and consumer goods manufacturer in Indonesia, Thailand, and Japan relating to allegations of fabricated documentation; inappropriate interactions with government officials; third party distribution risks; and inappropriate involvement in the preparation of an investigator-initiated clinical research scientific protocol.
- Conducted a major investigation for a leading financial services company jointly-listed on the NYSE and the TSX relating to its operations multiple whistleblower allegations of significant fraud and bribery allegations in respect of several long-term exclusive agreements in Vietnam amounting to USD 445 million.
- Conducted an FCPA and fraud investigation on behalf of a global management consulting firm relating to public allegations of bribery and corruption, bid-rigging, and collusion with respect to its participation in various government projects in China. Additionally assisted the company with making representations to various governmental authorities in the country.
- Led an internal investigation on behalf of a global hotel group based in Canada in relation to allegations of significant financial fraud by an accounting employee, and assisted the group on its representations to law enforcement and other counterparties.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a Hong Kong-listed logistics, financial services and engineering company in response to suspected financial misconduct, fraud, and breach of fiduciary duties by directors in Singapore and Hong Kong.
- Advised a global financial institution in relation to requests for information from the Hong Kong ICAC in connection with a bribery investigation.
- Led an internal investigation on behalf of a leading Hong Kong SFC-regulated Japanese investment bank on an internal investigation into allegations of conflicts of interest, outside business activity, internal control breaches, and breaches of regulatory disclosure obligations, and represented the bank in its dealings with the regulator.
- Led an internal investigation on behalf of an LSE-listed FTSE 250 component global food and beverage industrial supplier relating to a large scale post-integration FCPA/UKBA/PRC anti-corruption risk assessment and whistleblower allegations relating to significant kickbacks, conflicts of interest, and other corruption allegations in its China business.
- Led an internal investigation for a leading global marine product developer and manufacturer listed on the NYSE and the S&P 400 component relating to allegations of corruption, bribery, collusion and channel stuffing involving various distributors in a number of provinces in China.
- Acted as counsel to a multinational software company in an antitrust investigation before the Hong Kong Competition Commission in relation to allegations of price fixing.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Law Society of Hong Kong - Member
- The Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong - Member
- McMaster Alumni Association of Hong Kong - Chairman
- Hong Kong (2013)
- Chinese University of Hong Kong (PCLL) (2011)
- Chinese University of Hong Kong (JD) (2010)
- McMaster University (Bachelor of Arts in Political Science) (2006)
- Co-author, "White-Collar Crime 2021 - Hong Kong Law and Practice" Chambers Global Practice Guides, November 2021
- Co-author, "ESG risks and opportunities in the infrastructure investment cycle" APREA Knowledge Brief Vol.5, August 2021
- Co-author, "Navigating the Currents of US and PRC Sanctions: Compliance and Best Practice for Financial Institutions" China Law and Practice, May 2021
- Co-author, "INSIGHT: Hong Kong Financial Regulator Can Seize Devices, Access Accounts" Bloomberg Law, April 2020
- Co-author, "A Shift in U.S. FCPA Policy—Should Chinese Companies be Worried?" Bloomberg Law, June 2019
- Co-author, "Anti-corruption due diligence in cross-border transactions" Thomson Reuters, March 2019
- Co-author, "Heads or Tails? Are Europe’s GDPR and China’s Cybersecurity Law Two Sides of the Same Coin?" China Business Law Journal, May 2018