Ashok Lalwani is the Head of the International Capital Markets practice in Asia Pacific and is the Chair of the Firm's India practice. Ashok is recognised by leading legal directories for his capital markets and India expertise by Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global and IFLR1000. Ashok is also named on The A List – Singapore's top 100 lawyers by Asia Business Law Journal 2018 and 2019 and The International A List – Top India-focused lawyers at international law firms by India Business Law Journal 2019 and 2020.
Ashok focuses his practice on public and private international securities offerings and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, including the representation of non-US based companies in transactions involving US federal securities laws. His practice also includes the representation of issuers and underwriters in public and private securities offerings in the US and abroad. Additionally, Ashok has more than 20 years of experience handling Indian transactions – both inbound and outbound – for clients in various industries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised S Hotels & Resorts on it USD 240 million initial public offering on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.
- Advised the Joint Global Coordinators and Joint Bookrunners, Maybank Investment Bank Berhad, Credit Suisse (Singapore) Limited, Credit Suisse Securities (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd., RHB Investment Bank Berhad, AmInvestment Bank Berhad, and Hong Leong Investment Bank Berhad, in the initial public offering of Leong Hup International Berhad, on the Main Market of Bursa Malaysia Securities Berhad, amounting to RM 1.03 billion. Its listing is Malaysia's largest initial public offering in almost two years.
- Advised Thailand Future Infrastructure Fund in its USD 1.4 billion initial public offering on the Stock Exchange of Thailand. This listing was the largest Thai listing since 2015.
- Advised PT Bank Rakyat Indonesia (Persero) Tbk, in connection with its issuance of USD 500 million senior unsecured sustainability notes due 2024.
- Represented Credit Suisse, Siam Commercial Bank and Nomura in a follow-on offering of USD 1.6 billion of units in Digital Telecommunications Infrastructure Fund, including an international offering pursuant to Regulation S.
- Advised Jain Irrigation Systems Ltd. in connection with its debut USD 200 million global green high yield bond offering managed by Deutsche Bank and JP Morgan Barclays, Nomura and Rabobank as bookrunners.
- Advised Taiwan Cement Corporation in connection with its USD 550 million offering of GDSs listed on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange pursuant to Rule 144A and Regulation S. JP Morgan, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley were the underwriters.
- Advised on the USD 649 million initial public offering of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited on BSE/NSE with international offering pursuant to Reg S. We represented the Government of India as selling shareholder.
- Advised as US Counsel to Bank of America Merrill Lynch in connection with KrisEnergy Ltd's USD 200 million rights issue.
- Advised Deutsche Bank, CIMB, Bualuang Securities, Kasikorn Securities and Phatra Securities on initial public offering by and listing on Thailand Stock Exchange of B. Grimm Power Public Company Limited. Awarded 'Best IPO in Thailand 2017' by Asset Magazine and 'Best IPO Deal in Southeast Asia 2017' by Alpha Southeast Asia Deal Magazine.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- California (2001)
- Illinois (inactive) (1989)
- University of Notre Dame Law School (J.D., cum laude) (1989)
- Michigan State University (M.B.A.) (1984)
- Michigan State University (B.A.) (1984)