Ethan Kroll is a partner in the Los Angeles office and a member of the Firm's tax practice group. He is a co-author of a regular column on tax developments in TAXES – The Tax Magazine and speaks frequently on international tax issues. Previously, he was a principal at a Big Four accounting firm.
Ethan provides comprehensive, business-focused solutions to tax, legal, and other issues facing multinational enterprises in a wide range of sectors, including life sciences, consumer products, software, digital, and high technology companies. He advises on all aspects of US international income taxation, with an emphasis on multijurisdictional restructurings, expansions, and collaborations; supply chain management and enhancement; intellectual property alignment; loss optimization; and inbound and outbound investment.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of California – Section on Taxation
- California~United States (2010)
- District of Columbia~United States (2013)
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California~United States
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California~United States
- U.S. Tax Court~United States
- Stanford Law School (JD) (2010)
- University of Chicago (PhD) (2010)
- University of Chicago (MA) (2003)
- Yale University (BA) (1999)
- San Francisco
- Palo Alto
- Co-author, "Who's Afraid of Code Sec. 280E?," TAXES - The Tax Magazine, November 2021
- Co-author, "Complex Media Simplifies Substance Over Form," TAXES - The Tax Magazine, September 2021
- Co-author, "Don't Let the PFIC Be the Enemy of the Good: Thoughts on the Final PFIC Regulations," TAXES – The Tax Magazine, April 2021
- Co-author, "Double Trouble: BEPS Action 2 Stares Back in the Mirror Legislation Rule," TAXES – The Tax Magazine, December 2020
- Co-author, "No Income, No Problem? – U.S. International Tax Implications of LTR 2020090002," TAXES – The Tax Magazine, June 2020
- Co-author, "From 951A to 954(d) by Way of 338(g): The TCJA, Subpart F, and Post-Acquisition IP Integration," TAXES – The Tax Magazine, February 2020
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.