Luka Kristovic-Blazevic is a partner who specializes in international commercial arbitration, with a particular focus on complex international construction disputes, and is the head of the Middle East International Arbitration practice. He has experience of arbitral proceedings conducted under the auspices of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA), the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC) and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID), as well as ad hoc.
Luka has advised clients from a number of cultural and geographic backgrounds, and has worked on disputes involving both common and civil laws as well as Shariah.
From 2019-2020, Luka has been recognised by Who’s Who Legal as a "Future Leader – Arbitration” in Saudi Arabia and has been cited as “especially notable for construction-related international arbitration” by Chambers Global (Saudi Arabia).
Luka is a guest lecturer at Prince Sultan University in Riyadh, where he lectures on dispute resolution and construction law, and also acts as arbitrator.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acting for the contractor in an infrastructure project in an arbitration concerning the construction of various metro lines in the Middle East.
- Representing a Middle East government in connection with multiple arbitrations involving the construction of an airport and related infrastructures in the Middle East.
- Representing a client in high-stakes multibillion Euro dispute in the nuclear industry involving multiple proceedings in several fora.
- Representing an employer in an arbitration regarding the construction of a plant in the Middle East.
- Advising an employer in respect of claims management and a potential arbitration in relation to a refinery project in the Middle East.
- Advising an employer in respect of claims and contractual remedies in relation to a mining project in the Middle East.
- Representing a joint venture of European contractors in an arbitration arising out of a dispute relating to IT equipment supplied pursuant to a BOT contract for a new airport.
- Representing a joint venture between European and Asian contractors in an arbitration arising out of disputes relating to the construction of a new rail project in Asia.
- Representing a majority owner in a joint venture mobile telecommunications company in a dispute arising out of the threatened enforced divestment of its majority interest by its joint venture partner, the telecommunications arm of a Central European government.
- Representing an Asian company in a potential arbitration with claims ranging from USD 100 million to USD 300 million arising out of a dispute over the construction of a cement plant in the Middle East.
- Representing a North African company in a potential arbitration arising out of a dispute with a European group over the alleged mismanagement of a hotel in North Africa.
- Representing a party in an SEC investigation into bribery and corruption issues relating to a multibillion-dollar joint venture project in Africa.
- Representing in connection with a USD 15 million arbitration under the rules of a Central European arbitral institution arising out of the construction of a hotel in Central Europe.
- Who's Who Legal as Future Leaders - Arbitration 2019 and 2020 (Saudi Arabia)
- "Luka Kristovic-Blazevic is especially notable for construction-related international arbitration" - Chambers Global, Saudi Arabia, 2020
Professional Associations and Memberships
- ICC National Commissioner
- International Nuclear Law Association
- Paris~France (2007)
- New York~United States (2005)
- Dubai - Registered Legal Consultant
- New York University School of Law (LLM) (2004)
- Université Paris II - Panthéon-Assas (LMM (DESS)) (2003)
- Université Paris II - Panthéon-Assas (LLM (DEA)) (2002)
- Université Paris II - Panthéon-Assas (Maitrise in International Law) (2001)
- Université Paris II - Panthéon-Assas (DEUG) (2000)
- Université Paris II - Panthéon-Assas (LLB) (1999)
- Author, “Saudi Supreme Court clarifies COVID-19 effects on contractual arrangements,” July 2021
- Author, "Litigation in Saudi Arabia: Recently Launched E-Litigation Services Expedite Resolution of Disputes," August 2020
- Author, “Mediation in Saudi Arabia: Ratification of the Singapore Convention on Mediation and the SCCA Emergency Mediation Program,” June 2020
- Author, “The New Enforcement Regime: a further step in the right direction,” March 2019
Speaker at various conferences including:
- "Energy Transition and Renewables in MENA: Key Drivers and Future Prospects for the Dispute Resolution Landscape", ICC MENA Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, February 2023
- "Variations and other changes", ICC FIDIC Conference on International Construction Contracts and Dispute Resolution, October 2022