Igor Kolupayev is a counsel in Baker McKenzie’s Almaty office. He has published numerous articles on tax and transfer pricing, corporate law, international commercial arbitration, banking law, and maritime law. He also regularly prepares and submits draft changes to tax laws, toward improving regulations in related areas, particularly international taxation.
Mr. Kolupayev provides full-scope advice related to mergers and acquisitions, general tax planning, tax for M&A and reorganizations, tax disputes, and customs matters.
Representative Legal Matters
Advising the national telecommunications operator of Kazakhstan, on the sale of 51 percent interest in one of the country's largest mobile operators to a Swedish telecommunications company.
Advising Heineken International on the consolidation of its business with Efes Breweries in Kazakhstan. The transaction involved the client’s sale of a 100 percent participatory interest in Dinal LLP, and its acquisition of 28 percent of shares in Efes Karaganda Brewery JSC.
Advising a Japanese consortium on the establishment of a joint venture for the acquisition of uranium assets in Kazakhstan, including due diligence, negotiation of transaction documents and application for statutory clearances.
Advising a major Japanese shipping company on the acquisition of minority interest in a Kazakh logistical company. The assets acquired comprised an international standard terminal with a total surface of 50,000 sqm situated in Almaty region, and mostly used for the import and export of cars from Kazakhstan.
Advising a major Chinese integrated energy and chemicals company that is engaged in oil and gas exploration and production, in connection with due diligence and indirect acquisition of a controlling stake in a holding entity owning a number of operating (oil and gas) subsidiaries in Kazakhstan.
Advising a large US-based industrial group on the sale of its power assets in Kazakhstan to a leading power corporation in Kazakhstan.
Advising Samruk-Kazyna, the sovereign wealth fund of Kazakhstan, on the creation of a EUR100 million Kazakhstan Growth Fund together with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and Kazyna Capital Management.
Representing a subsidiary of a multinational oil and gas company in a large transfer pricing dispute with the tax authorities.
Advising subsidiaries of AES on various tax disputes.
Representing a Kazakhstani subsidiary of a major steel producing company in disputes with national tax authorities over allegedly unpaid land rent and customs duties.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce - Tax Working Group
- Kazakhstan Petroleum Law Association - Member
- Assocation of Taxpayers of Kazakhstan - Member
- Kazakhstan~Kazakhstan (2000)
- Kazakh State Law Academy (Ph.D.) (2004)
- Kazakh State Law Academy (M.C.L., Honors) (2000)
- Co-author, "Multijurisdiction: CIS Countries Introduce New Rules on Taxation of Digital Services," Lexology, 12 July 2021
- Author, "Starting a Business in Kazakhstan: Legal and Tax Considerations," Russia/Eurasia Executive Guide, Vol. 19, No. 7, July 2009
- Author, "Kazakhstan’s New Tax Code," BNA’s Eastern Europe Reporter, January 2009
- Author, "Kazakhstan’s New Transfer Pricing Law," BNA’s Eastern Europe Reporter, January 2009