Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise)
Masayoshi Kobayashi is an associate in Baker McKenzie’s Tokyo office and a member of the Finance & Projects Group. Masayoshi was listed as a "Rising Star" of Restructuring and Insolvency in The Legal 500 (2020 to 2021).
Masayoshi focuses his practice on structured finance, including project finance, lease financing and other finance-related matters, as well as PFI/PPP projects and restructuring, insolvency and debt collection.
Representative Legal Matters
Finance / Major Projects
- Represented financial institutions and business operators in project finance transactions in connection with large-scale coal- and LNG-fired thermal power generation projects and renewable energy power generation (e.g., solar, wind and biomass) projects.
- Represented business operators, financial institutions and the public sector in a number of PFI/PPP transactions, such as concession projects (at airports, cruise terminals, MICE facilities, sports facilities and other locations) and PFI projects (for harbor facilities, waste disposal facilities, schools and school lunch centers, etc.).
- Advised foreign financial institutions on financial regulations applicable to their services in Japan.
- Advised a major US IT company regarding the lease for its head office in Tokyo.
Restructuring / Insolvency / Debt Collection
- Representing Takata Corporation with respect to its civil rehabilitation proceeding and advised the company in relation to US Chapter 15 and other proceedings related to the company's global insolvency and restructuring.
- Acting as Japanese legal counsel for Westinghouse Group in connection with its global insolvency and restructuring project.
- Advised a European subsidiary of a major Japanese electronics manufacturing company on litigation, international arbitration, provisional remedies, enforcement and other dispute resolution proceedings in various European countries in connection with the company's debt collection project and advised the company on the legal systems of said countries.
- Represented a Japanese subsidiary of a European company in relation to civil rehabilitation, bankruptcy, litigation, provisional remedies, enforcement and other Japanese dispute resolution proceedings against a Japanese obligor.
- Listed as a "Rising Star" in Restructuring and Insolvency: International Firms and Joint Ventures, The Legal 500, 2020 to 2021
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- East Asian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring (EAAIR) - Member
- INSOL International - Member
- Japanese Federation of Insolvency Professionals (JFIP) - Member
- Japan (2014)
- Chiba University Law School (JD) (2013)
- The University of Tokyo (LLB) (2011)
- Co-author, "Inherent Conflict between Arbitration and Bankruptcy - US/UK's Endeavors towards Harmonization and Their Practical Implications for Japanese Law -," JCA Journal Vol.68 No.8, Japan Commercial Arbitration Association, August 2021
- Co-author, "Global Restructuring and Insolvency Guide - Japan," Baker McKenzie, May 2020
- Contributor, "Doing Business 2020: Comparing Business Regulation in 190 Economies," World Bank Group, October 2019
- Contributor, "Doing Business 2019: Training for Reform," World Bank Group, October 2018
- Co-author, "An Overview of the Spanish Insolvency Law," The Turnaround & Credit Management No.161, Kinzai Institute for Financial Affairs, July 2018
- Contributor, "Doing Business 2018: Reforming to Create Jobs," World Bank Group, October 2017
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.