Masayoshi Kobayashi is a member of the Banking & Finance group at the Firm's Tokyo office. He is a member of the Tokyo Bar Association.
Masayoshi focuses his practice on structured finance, including project finance, lease financing and other finance-related matters, as well as PFI/PPP projects and restructuring, insolvency and debt collection.
Representative Legal Matters
Finance / Major Projects
- Represented financial institutions and business operators in project finance transactions in connection with large-scale coal- and LNG-fired thermal power generation projects and renewable energy power generation (eg, solar and biomass) projects.
- Represented business operators, financial institutions and the public sector in a number of PFI/PPP transactions, such as concession projects (at airports, cruise terminals, MICE facilities, sports facilities and other locations) and PFI projects (for harbor facilities, waste disposal facilities, schools and school lunch centers, etc.).
- Advised foreign financial institutions on financial regulations applicable to their services in Japan.
- Advised a major US IT company regarding the lease for its head office in Tokyo.
Restrucuring / Insolvency / Debt Collection
- Representing Takata Corporation with respect to its civil rehabilitation proceeding and advised the company in relation to US Chapter 15 and other proceedings related to the company's global insolvency and restructuring.
- Acting as Japanese legal counsel for Westinghouse Group in connection with its global insolvency and restructuring project.
- Advised a European subsidiary of a major Japanese electronics manufacturing company on litigation, international arbitration, provisional remedies, enforcement and other dispute resolution proceedings in various European countries in connection with the company's debt collection project and advised the company on the legal systems of said countries.
- Represented a Japanese subsidiary of a European company in relation to civil rehabilitation, bankruptcy, litigation, provisional remedies, enforcement and other Japanese dispute resolution proceedings against a Japanese obligor.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- East Asian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring (EAAIR) - Member
- INSOL International – Member
- Japanese Federation of Insolvency Professionals (JFIP) - Member
- Japan (2014)
- Chiba University Law School (JD) (2013)
- Tokyo University (LLB) (2011)
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.