Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise)
Hiroshi Kasuya helps clients with legal issues related to insolvency/corporate restructuring and mergers and acquisitions. He also has extensive experience representing a variety of clients in litigation and dispute resolution. Hiroshi has been listed as a "Ranked Lawyer" for Restructuring/Insolvency by Chambers Asia-Pacific (2022), a "Leading Individual" for Restructuring and Insolvency by The Legal 500 (2020-present) and a "Best Lawyer" for Insolvency and Reorganization Law by The Best Lawyers in Japan (2021-present).
Hiroshi focuses his practice on insolvency/restructuring, debt collection and mergers and acquisitions. He frequently advises on matters relating to cross-border and domestic corporate insolvency, reorganization, restructuring and debt collection. He also has extensive experience representing clients in dispute resolution cases in various industries and fields.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented a domestically listed sporting goods company in its acquisition of a listed golf goods company.
- Represented a major private equity fund in its takeover bid for a domestically listed apparel company.
- Represented a domestic life insurance company in its insolvency proceedings under the Japanese Corporate Reorganization Act.
- Represented a major Japanese financial company in connection with its insolvency proceedings under the Japanese Civil Rehabilitation Act.
- Represented the Japanese subsidiary of a US semiconductor manufacturer in connection with insolvency proceedings under the Japanese Corporate Reorganization Act in parallel with Chapter 11 proceedings filed by its parent company.
- Represented creditor companies with respect to large cross-border insolvency cases and out-of-court workouts.
- Advised Japanese companies in connection with the cross-border insolvency case of a major shipping company in South Korea.
- Acted for a nuclear power company as Japanese legal counsel in connection with the company's global insolvency and restructuring.
- Represented a major auto parts maker with respect to its civil rehabilitation case and global restructuring and advised the client in connection with chapters 11 and 15 of the US Bankruptcy Code and other foreign insolvency proceedings.
- Represented a major foreign airline company as debtor counsel in filing a petition with the Tokyo District Court to seek recognition of and assistance for the company's foreign reorganization proceeding pursuant to the Act on Recognition of and Assistance for Foreign Insolvency Proceedings.
- Represented a domestic airline company as debtor counsel in filing a petition for commencement of bankruptcy proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Daini Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI) - Member
- INSOL International - Member
- Japanese Federation of Insolvency Professionals - Member
- East Asian Association of Insolvency & Restructuring - Member
- New York~United States (2012)
- Japan (2000)
- St. John's University, School of Law (LLM Bankruptcy) (2012)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (LLM) (2011)
- Waseda University (Master's Degree Finance) (2006)
- Waseda University (LLB) (1997)
Publications & Presentations
- Presentation, "Debt Restructuring Practice in Germany and Creditors' Involvement" (Japanese Association for Business Recovery (JABR) Symposium 2022), May 2022
- Co-author, “Inherent Conflict between Arbitration and Bankruptcy – US/UK’s Endeavors towards Harmonization and Their Practical Implications for Japanese Law,” JCA Journal, Japan Commercial Arbitration Association, August 2021
- Co-author, "Attachment Orders (Freezing Injunctions) Q&A: Japan," Practical Law, Thomson Reuters, 2021
- Co-author, "Recent Trends in Distressed M&A - Business Acquisitions under Section 363 of the US Bankruptcy Code," Business Homu, Chuokeizai-sha, November 2020
- Co-author, "Recovery of Trade Debts Q&A: Japan," Practical Law, Thomson Reuters, 2020
- Presentation "Significant Change - New Common Knowledge in Indian Legal Matters,", September 2019
Baker & McKenzie (Gaikokuho Joint Enterprise) is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.