Representative Legal Matters
Represented a domestic listed sporting goods company on its acquisition of a listed golf goods company.
Represented a major private equity fund on its takeover bid for a domestic listed apparel company.
Represented a domestic life insurance company on its insolvency proceedings under the Japanese Corporate Reorganization Act.
Represented a major Japanese financial company in connection with its insolvency proceedings under the Japanese Civil Rehabilitation Act.
Represented the Japanese subsidiary of a US semiconductor manufacturer in connection with insolvency proceedings under the Japanese Corporate Reorganization Act in parallel with Chapter 11 proceedings filed by its parent company.
Represented creditor companies with respect to large cross-border insolvency cases and out-of-court workouts.
Advised Japanese companies in connection with the cross-border insolvency case of a major shipping company in South Korea.
Acted for a nuclear power company as Japanese legal counsel in connection with the company's global insolvency and restructuring.
Represented a major auto parts maker with respect to its civil rehabilitation case and global restructuring and advised the client in connection with chapters 11 and 15 of the US Bankruptcy Code and other foreign insolvency proceedings.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Dai-Ni Tokyo Bar Association - Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute - Member
- INSOL International - Member
- Japanese Federation of Insolvency Professionals (JFIP) - Member
- New York~United States (2012)
- Japan (2000)
- St. John's University, School of Law (LLM Bankruptcy) (2012)
- University of California, Berkeley School of Law (LLM) (2011)
- Waseda University (Master's Degree Finance) (2006)
- Waseda University (LLB) (1997)
- Co-author, “Legal Risk Management Practices for Overseas Subsidiaries,” Chuokeizai-sha, September 2019
- Co-author, “An Overview of the Spanish Insolvency Law,” The Turnaround & Credit Management, Kinzai Institute for Financial Affairs, July 2018
- Co-author, “Realities and Challenges of Chapter 11: An Overview and Analysis of the American Bankruptcy Institute's Recommendations on the Reform of Chapter 11(1)-(3),” Kokusai Shoji Homu, The Japanese Institute of International Business Law, December 2015; January and February 2016
- Contributor, Doing Business, The World Bank, 2015-2018
- Co-author, An Overview of the Bankruptcy Law of the United States, Shoji Homu, June 2014