Camila is a lawyer graduated from Pontificia Universidad Javeriana and a specialist in commercial law from Universidad de los Andes. In 2012 she obtained an LL.M degree in energy and environmental law from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven in Belgium.
She is a senior associate and leading lawyer of the Environmental Law Practice Group at the Bogota office, with more than 8 years of experience in the natural resources sector. Camila also supports the Commercial Agreements Practice Group with the structuring, drafting and negotiations of commercial agreements.
Camila has participated in the structuring of environmental due diligence processes, carbon credits financing projects, environmental audits, accompaniment in environmental liability and administrative proceedings, as well as socialization processes and prior consultation.
Camila participated as speaker in the first panel in Bogota about Article 6 of the Paris Convention, organized by International Emissions Trading Association (IETA), ALLCOT and the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development.
Among the most representative cases related to pro bono cases, the analysis on the implementation of the Escazu Agreement in Colombia must be highlighted. This case was promoted by the Cyrus R. Vance Center for International Justice, in which Camila performed a leading role for Colombia.
Camila was recognized by The Legal 500 Latin America 2021 and 2022 in the category "Rising Star." Likewise, the environmental team of Baker McKenzie at the Bogota office was ranked in Tier 3 of Legal 500 Latin America 2022: Colombia.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised the National Mining Agency, with respect to the assignment of certain environmental authorizations of a relevant mining project, in the frame of the structuring of the four mining rounds for the adjudication of Strategic Mining Areas.
- Advised FMC Technologies Inc., in the procedure before DIMAR to obtain a commercial exploitation license, with the purpose to support the offshore operations performed by Shell and Ecopetrol in Coveñas.
- Advised EPM in the due diligence process, in the frame of the Electricaribe acquisition process.
- Advised an important company in the infrastructure sector in an environmental due diligence process, in the frame of the acquisition of 70% of the issued and outstanding share capital of Concesión Costera Cartagena Barranquilla.
- Assisted a Colombian fund, with focus on infrastructure assets, in a due diligence acquisition transaction of Termo Mechero Morro S.A.S. E.S.P., a company which generates electricity from natural gas.
- Advised Grupo Romero Investment Office (GRIO) in the due diligence acquisition transaction of one the most important companies which manages Colombia's largest crude transportation system.
- Advised one of the most important Colombian energy companies, in the environmental due diligence for the acquisition of photovoltaic project of 300 MW, located in Guaduas and Chaguaní, which has been declared as utility public project (DUPI).
Professional Associations and Memberships
- WIM (Women in Mining) Colombia - Vice president
- Colombia (2009)
- Universidad de los Andes, Colombia (Specialization in Commercial Law) (2018)
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (LLM in Energy and Environmental Law) (2012)
- Universidad Javeriana (Law Degree) (2009)
- Participant, Acuerdo de Escazú - Retos ante su Posible Ratificación,"July 28, 2022
- Speaker, "Workshop and Training of Experts: Article 6 in Latin America and Colombia of the Paris Agreement," International Emissions Trading Association (IETA), Allcot and the Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development, May 19-20, 2022
- Speaker, "Women for the Escazu Agreement" webinar, Women's Earth and Climate Action Network, May 3, 2022
- Speaker, Conferences Cycle, Externado University, October 22, 2021
- Participant, Masterclass Cycle (training journalists about the regulation applicable to climate change), April 27, 2022
- Speaker, "New regulation applicable to environmental crimes," Environmental Committee of the ANDI, November 25, 2021