Berthold A. Hummel joined the Munich office of Baker McKenzie in October 2017. Berthold has more than 20 years in-depth industry knowledge in private equity from private practice and as a senior legal counsel of a leading international private equity firm. He advises on local and international M&A, private equity, growth capital, venture capital and equity capital markets transactions. Berthold has a particular experience working with biotech and life science companies and their financial sponsors.
Berthold is consistently recommended by leading independent directories, including Chambers, JUVE and Legal 500 and is described as "dedicated to doing a perfect job, and having a very strong commercial and structural sense" as well as "being pragmatic, focused on the essentials, well organized and always available at a late hour.”Best Lawyers in Germany 2017, published by Handelsblatt, listed him among the leading lawyers in the area of private equity.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised LSP as lead investor in DNA Script on the oversubscribed Series B fundraising of $ 38.5 million for accelerated product development and commercial operations in the U.S. of DNA Script.
- Advised Hitachi Chemical Company, Ltd., a leading manufacturer of functional materials and advanced components with a strong portfolio in the life sciences industry, on the takeover of German apceth Biopharma, a contract development and manufacturing organization for complex cell-based regenerative gene therapy products.
- Advised Forbion as investor counsel on a $ 54 million Series A financing of Gotham Therapeutics Corporation, based in Germany and the US.
- Advised Global Ports Holding, the world’s largest cruise port operator, on a € 45 million acquisition facility to leading online cruise portal Dreamlines with a conversion right in shares and in parallel with a € 45 million Series E Financing Round; the acquisition facility secured the successful completion of the takeover of British Dreamlines rival Cruise 1st.
- Advised B.C. Jindal Group on the acquisition of Treofan Group, a former Celanese subsidiary from Italian private equity investor M&C S.p.A.
- Advised Forbion and Biogeneration Ventures as investor counsel on the Series A Financing of German catalYm, a developer of antibodies.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Berthold handled the following matters:
- Advised a selling investors consortium including Boehringer Ingelheim, Forbion, MP Healthcare, Sunstone Capital and Wellington Partners in an auctioned cross border acquisition of German Rigontec, a leader in RIG-I targeting RNA therapeutics by Merck Sharp Dohme.
- Advised investor syndicate led by LSP Life Sciences Partners, including BMS, BioMedPartners, Boehringer Ingelheim and High-Tech Gründerfonds on a € 15 million Series A Financing in Cardior Pharmaceuticals, a carve out from THH Hannover developing novel therapies for cardiovascular diseases.
- Sellers counsel to HeidelbergCapital and Creathor Venture on the sale of Accovion, a leading European full-service CRO to Clinipace Worldwide Inc.
- Advised 3i Group plc on the leveraged buy-out of Betapharm Arzneimittel a distributor of generic pharmaceuticals from Thomas and Andreas Strüngmann.
- Germany (1995)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (Second State Exam) (1994)
- Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich (First State Exam) (1991)
- Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms Universität Bonn (1989)
- Bonn Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg (1988)
Author, "A Bullish Year For M&A In Germany," Law360, January 2016
Author, "Listing Abroad: A Guide For German Companies," Going Public Magazine Special Edition "Listing Abroad", December 2015
Author, "Eased Admission Formalities For Start-Ups," JUVE Rechtsmarkt, 2014
Author, "Lower Obstacles for IPOs of Smaller Companies in the US," Börsenzeitung, 2013