Berthold A. Hummel joined the Munich office of Baker McKenzie in October 2017. Berthold has more than 20 years in-depth industry knowledge in private equity from private practice and as a senior legal counsel of a leading international private equity firm. He advises on local and international M&A, private equity, growth capital, venture capital and equity capital markets transactions. Berthold has a particular experience working with biotech and life science companies and their financial sponsors.
Berthold is consistently recommended by leading independent directories, including Chambers, JUVE and Legal 500 and is described as "dedicated to doing a perfect job, and having a very strong commercial and structural sense" as well as "being pragmatic, focused on the essentials, well organized and always available at a late hour.”Best Lawyers in Germany 2017, published by Handelsblatt, listed him among the leading lawyers in the area of private equity.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Forbion as investor counsel on a $ 54 million Series A financing of Gotham Therapeutics Corporation, based in Germany and the US.
- Advised B.C. Jindal Group on the acquisition of Treofan Group, a former Celanese subsidiary from Italian private equity investor M&C S.p.A.
- Advised Forbion and Biogeneration Ventures as investor counsel on the Series A Financing of German catalYm, a developer of antibodies.
- Advised Cleverciti Systems as company counsel on the growth capital financing by a syndicate including ENBW Ventures and The Westly Group.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Berthold handled the following matters:
- Advised a selling investors consortium including Boehringer Ingelheim, Forbion, MP Healthcare, Sunstone Capital and Wellington Partners in an auctioned cross border acquisition of German Rigontec, a leader in RIG-I targeting RNA therapeutics by Merck Sharp Dohme.
- Advised the selling shareholders of Sensovation AG including HeidelbergCapital and Aeris Capital on the sale of their shares to Miltenyi Biotec Group.
- Advised Advent International and Allnex Group on the acquisition and public take-over of Nuplex Industries, forming a global producer of coating resins
(awarded as New Zealand M& A deal of the year 2017 and deal of the year by the New Zealand Law Award 2017).
- Advised investor syndicate led by LSP Life Sciences Partners, including BMS, BioMedPartners, Boehringer Ingelheim and High-Tech Gründerfonds on a € 15 million Series A Financing in Cardior Pharmaceuticals, a carve out from THH Hannover developing novel therapies for cardiovascular diseases.
- Sellers counsel to HeidelbergCapital and Creathor Venture on the sale of Accovion, a leading European full-service CRO to Clinipace Worldwide Inc.
- Advised 3i Group plc on the leveraged buy-out of Betapharm Arzneimittel a distributor of generic pharmaceuticals from Thomas and Andreas Strüngmann.
- Germany (1995)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (Second State Exam) (1994)
- Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich (First State Exam) (1991)
- Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms Universität Bonn (1989)
- Bonn Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg (1988)