Berthold A. Hummel joined the Munich office of Baker McKenzie in October 2017. Berthold has more than 20 years in-depth industry knowledge in private equity from private practice and as a senior legal counsel of a leading international private equity firm. He advises on local and international M&A, private equity, growth capital, venture capital and equity capital markets transactions. Berthold has a particular experience working with biotech and life science companies and their financial sponsors.
Berthold is consistently recommended by leading independent directories, including Chambers, JUVE and Legal 500 and is described as "dedicated to doing a perfect job, and having a very strong commercial and structural sense" as well as "being pragmatic, focused on the essentials, well organized and always available at a late hour.”Best Lawyers in Germany 2017, published by Handelsblatt, listed him among the leading lawyers in the area of private equity.
Representative Legal Matters
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Berthold handled the following matters:
- Advised a selling investors consortium including Boehringer Ingelheim, Forbion Capital, MP Healthcare, Sunstone Capital and Wellington Partners in an auctioned cross border acquisition of German Rigontec, a leader in RIG-I targeting RNA therapeutics by Merck Sharp Dohme.
- Advised Advent International Corporation and its portfolio company Allnex Group on the acquisition and public take-over of Nuplex Industries, forming a global producer of coating resins for special purpose coatings and inks (awarded as New Zealand M& A deal of the year 2017 and deal of the year by the New Zealand Law Award 2017).
- Advised the selling shareholders of Sensovation AG (inter alia HeidelbergCapital and Aeris Capital) on the sale of their shares to Miltenyi Biotec Group.
- Advised as investor syndicate counsel to LSP Life Sciences Partners (Lead), Bristol-Myers Squibb, BioMedPartners, Boehringer Ingelheim and High-Tech Gründerfonds on all legal aspects of Cardior Pharmaceuticals’ Series A Financing, a university carve-out including equity financing, in-licensing of intellectual property from Medizinische Hochschule Hannover and Max Planck Gesellschaft as well as hiring of key personnel.
- Advised a sellers consortium led by HeidelbergCapital and Creathor Venture on the sale of their shares in Accovion, a leading European full-service CRO headquartered in Frankfurt to Clinipace Worldwide Inc.
- Advised voxeljet AG, a leading German provider of high-speed, large-format 3D printers and on-demand parts services, in its USD 97.2 million cross-border initial public offering and listing on the NYSE and in its USD 41.4 Million Follow-On Public Offering of American Depositary Shares.
- Advised Centre Partners Management LLC, a leading middle market private equity firm, on the sale of Hyco International Inc. by certain of its affiliates to German-based Weber-Hydraulik Group.
- Advised NORMA Group AG on its EUR 386 million initial public offering on the Frankfurt Stock Exchange (DACH deal of the year award at the 2012 Real Deals Private Equity Awards for 3i’s successful investment in NORMA).
- Advised OXEA Chemicals Group, a portfolio company of leading global private equity firm Advent International Corporation, on the acquisition of ExxonMobil’s ester plant in Amsterdam.
- Advised 3i Group plc, the UK-listed global private equity company, on the disposal of a larger portfolio of quoted and unquoted company interests in a secondary portfolio transaction to Heidelberg Capital Partners.
- Germany (1995)
- Higher Regional Court of Munich (Second State Exam) (1994)
- Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich (First State Exam) (1991)
- Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms Universität Bonn (1989)
- Bonn Albert-Ludwigs-University of Freiburg (1988)