James Huang heads the Finance and Projects team in Singapore. He has extensive experience practicing in London, Hong Kong as well as Singapore and has handled a multitude of financing transactions in Asia Pacific. James has been consistently recognised as a leading lawyer in the Singapore banking and finance sector by Asia Pacific Legal 500 since 2001.
James Huang represents corporates and financial institutions in all manner of financing-related transactions across the Asia Pacific. He has advised companies and banks — including commercial banks, private banks and investment banks — on a wide range of financing matters and has acted on numerous cross-border debt restructurings, leasing, banking and finance transactions including structured financing, asset financing, limited recourse project financings, ECA supported financings and equipment and aircraft leasing in Korea, Thailand, the Philippines, Vietnam, India, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong SAR, China and Bangladesh.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited and other lenders on a USD 400 million project financing to PTT Asahi Chemical Company Limited for the development, construction and operation of a 200,000 metric tonnes per annum acrylonitrile production facility and an associated 70,000 metric tonnes per annum methyl methacrylate monomer production facility at Map Ta Phut, Rayong, Thailand. This deal was awarded Project Finance International’s Asia Pacific Petrochemical Deal of the Year 2008.
- Advised DBS Bank Ltd. on the SGD 2.25 billion acquisition finance loan to Sabre Energy Industries Pte. Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of YTL Power International Berhad, for financing the purchase of PowerSeraya Limited from Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited. The PowerSeraya sale was one of three generating company divestments by Temasek which collectively won FinanceAsia’s Best Singapore Deal 2008 award.
- Advised on ING Bank, Standard Chartered Bank and Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation’s USD 300 million financing to a major Indonesian coal mining company.
- Advised Standard Chartered Bank on a USD 150 million acquisition financing to a major Indian corporate for the acquisition of a Brazilian energy company.
- Advised Jaya Holdings Limited, a large builder and owner of offshore support vessels, and its subsidiaries on the restructuring of its indebtedness (up to SGD 1 billion) to 13 banks and trade creditors. This was the only debt restructuring of a Singapore-listed corporation during the financial crisis.
- Advised Australia and New Zealand Banking Group Limited in the Sinosure-covered USD 42,838,792 lease receivables financing to Texhong Textile Group Limited for the acquisition of certain manufacturing equipment to be installed in Vietnam.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- Singapore (1998)
- Hong Kong (1993)
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (1991)
- College of Law, Chester (1989)
- University College, London (1988)
- Hong Kong