Hao-Ray Hu is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Taipei office. He mainly advises on banking and finance, M&A and corporate matters.
From 1999 to 2002, Mr. Hu led the Society of Legal Consulting, a pro bono group formed by National Taiwan University law students to provide free legal services to the general public.
Mr. Hu frequently assists local and foreign clients in the acquisition of financial institutions, telecom companies and cable television system operators. He also has extensive experience advising financial institutions on post-acquisition integration.
Representative Legal Matters
Banking & Finance
- Acted for Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) in its acquisition of RBS/ABN AMRO Bank's branches in Taiwan; assisted in applications and coordinated with relevant regulators.
- Acted for ANZ in the incorporation and establishment of a bank subsidiary in Taiwan.
- Acted for DBS Bank Ltd. in its acquisition of Bowa Bank; assisted in applications and coordinated with relevant regulators.
- Acted for DBS Bank in the incorporation and establishment of a bank subsidiary in Taiwan.
Mergers & Acquisitions/Private Equity
- Acted for Ruentex Group and Pou Chen Group in their acquisition of Nan Shan Life Insurance Co. auctioned by AIG.
- Acted for Prime View International Co. Ltd. in an agreement to acquire the stock of E Ink Corporation, a Massachusetts-based technology company that owns the paper display technology used in electronic book devices.
- Acted for Advanced Semiconductor Engineering Inc. (ASE) in its acquisition of Universal Scientific Industrial Co. Ltd. through a tender offer with ASE's offshore affiliates (the first tender offer using cash as consideration).
- Acted for Motorola Inc. in its sale of network assets in Taiwan to Nokia Siemens Networks Inc.
- Acted for Chunghwa Telecom in connection with the issuance of 2006 American Depository Receipts.
- Acted for Prime View International Co. Ltd in connection with the issuance of 2009 Global Depository Receipts.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Hao-Ray led the Society of Legal Consulting, a pro bono group formed by National Taiwan University law school students, providing free legal services to the general public from 1999 to 2002.
- New York~United States (2008)
- Taipei~Taiwan (2002)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (2005)
- National Taiwan University (LL.M.) (2002)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1998)
Baker & McKenzie, a Taiwanese Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.