Hao-Ray Hu is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Taipei office. He mainly advises on banking and finance, M&A and corporate matters.
From 1999 to 2002, Mr. Hu led the Society of Legal Consulting, a pro bono group formed by National Taiwan University law students to provide free legal services to the general public.
Representative Legal Matters
Banking & Finance
- Acted for Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) in its acquisition of RBS/ABN AMRO Bank's branches in Taiwan; assisted in applications and coordinated with relevant regulators.
- Acted for ANZ in the incorporation and establishment of a bank subsidiary in Taiwan.
- Acted for DBS Bank Ltd. in its acquisition of Bowa Bank; assisted in applications and coordinated with relevant regulators.
- Acted for DBS Bank in the incorporation and establishment of a bank subsidiary in Taiwan.
Mergers & Acquisitions/Private Equity
- Acted for Ruentex Group and Pou Chen Group in their acquisition of Nan Shan Life Insurance Co. auctioned by AIG.
- Acted for Prime View International Co. Ltd. in an agreement to acquire the stock of E Ink Corporation, a Massachusetts-based technology company that owns the paper display technology used in electronic book devices.
- Acted for Advanced Semiconductor Engineering Inc. (ASE) in its acquisition of Universal Scientific Industrial Co. Ltd. through a tender offer with ASE's offshore affiliates (the first tender offer using cash as consideration).
- Acted for Motorola Inc. in its sale of network assets in Taiwan to Nokia Siemens Networks Inc.
- Acted for Chunghwa Telecom in connection with the issuance of 2006 American Depository Receipts.
- Acted for Prime View International Co. Ltd in connection with the issuance of 2009 Global Depository Receipts.
- Named Band 1 Lawyer by Chambers Greater China (2023)
- Named Recommended Lawyer by Legal 500 Asia Pacific (2023)
- Named Taiwan Top 100 Lawyers by Asia Business Law Journal (2022)
- Named Leading Lawyer – Notable Practitioner by IFLR1000 (2022)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Taipei Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- Hao-Ray led the Society of Legal Consulting, a pro bono group formed by National Taiwan University law school students, providing free legal services to the general public from 1999 to 2002.
- New York~United States (2008)
- Taipei~Taiwan (2002)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (2005)
- National Taiwan University (LL.M.) (2002)
- National Taiwan University (LL.B.) (1998)