Jaclyn has advised both MNCs and Singapore-headquartered companies on international tax issues, with a focus on cross-border tax planning issues. Her practice includes advising clients on restructuring their business operations to achieve optimal tax positions, intellectual property planning, mergers and acquisitions and assisting clients with tax incentive negotiations with the relevant authorities.
Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Jaclyn worked in one of the Big Four accounting firms in Singapore.
Representative Legal Matters
- Managing a portfolio of corporate clients in the gaming, technology, hospitality, retail and consumer industries in tax advisory and dealing with queries raised by the tax authorities.
- Advising several US MNCs on internal corporate restructurings involving, among others, multiple cross-border transfers, including transfers of various types of IP, with income tax, GST and stamp duty implications. The value of the assets involved in these restructurings is in excess of USD 40 billion.
- Reviewing a group's business model across seven different jurisdictions and advising on aligning the tax structure in the most efficient manner.
- Outbound structuring of investments from Singapore into various jurisdictions with a detailed analysis of the relevant double taxation agreements, taking into account profit repatriation, financing, permanent establishment, intellectual property and exit considerations.
- Providing advice on transacting with the US and outbound structuring of investments from Singapore into US, including an analysis of whether an asset or share deal is preferable for the acquisition of a US company.
- Issuing tax opinion on multi-billion dollar (SGD) securities issuance in Singapore and completing and submitting successful tax rulings to the tax authorities on the issuance.
- Negotiating with relevant authorities in Singapore for various tax incentives on behalf of clients.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants
- Singapore Management University (Bachelor of Accountancy (Honours) Major in Law)