Mirco Hilgers advises on legal matters related to Chilean mining law. He also has extensive experience and deep local knowledge in matters related to natural resources, energy and infrastructure. Mr. Hilgers is a frequent columnist on mining and energy legal issues in Diario Financiero, Diario Estrategia, Diario El Pulso, Revista Minería Chilena and Qué Pasa Minería. He was nominated as one of the Chilean Leading Lawyers for natural resources law by Qué Pasa in 2013, and by The Legal 500. Chambers Latin America 2015 ranks him as an up-and-coming partner. He is currently professor of Chilean mining law at the Universidad Alberto Hurtado.
Mr. Hilgers practices mainly in mining and foreign investment, assisting in the incorporation, maintenance and development of diverse foreign companies in the mining industry and their Chilean subsidiaries.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Audley Capital Advisors on the purchase of a stake in Anglo American Norte S.A. — with Orion Mine Finance as the main co-investor — for an initial cash payment of USD300 million.
- Defended Rockwood Lithium’s legal mining easement rights before the Antofagasta courts for the development of its lithium settling ponds.
- Advised Sprott Resource Lending Partnership as the lender in the USD25 million Credit Agreement to Hot Chili Limited as the borrower.
- Advised Guanaco Compañía Minera SpA (Austral Gold Limited) on the acquisition of the Amancaya Mining Project.
- Advised Sierra Gorda SCM in the negotiation with Algorta Norte SA for the pipeline crossings and easements.
- Advise Atacama Solar SA in the BOO proposed framework agreement with Transelec for their transmission line construction and operation.
- Advised Li3Energy regarding the transaction and USD8 million share purchase agreement with BBL SpA of 51 percent of Minera Li Energy SpA, Li3’s Chilean subsidiary and holder of the properties denominated as Litio 1–6 and Cocina 19–27, part of the Maricunga Lithium/Potassium project located in the Salar de Maricunga, Chile.
- Prepared and developed the legal strategy and implementation of the surface land access to the whole mining project of Sierra Gorda SCM in the Second Region of Antofagasta, Chile.
- Assisted in the acquisition of mining concessions and easements by Minera Quadra Chile Limitada (Sierrea Gorda SCM) of SQM for USD37 million.
- Assisted in the acquisition of mining concessions and easements of Minera Cerro Dominador by Minera Quadra Chile Limitada (Sierra Gorda SCM) for USD30 million.
- Chile (2006)
- Pontificia University Catolica de Chile (Master Business Law) (2003)
- Universidad de Chile School of Law (Licencee Juridical and Social Sciences) (1999)
Author, "Chilean Mining Law for the Prospector, Miner and Investor", Qudragraphics, JC Sáez Editor SpA, October 2014
Author, "Cierre de faenas mineras: la vida útil de un proyecto minero," Mineria Chilena, December 2013
Author, "Crecimiento, mineria, proyectos e iniciativas legales," Area Minera (www.aminera.com), November 2013
Baker & McKenzie Ltda. is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.