Dr. Eugenio Hernández-Bretón has been practicing law since 1981. His main practice areas are energy and natural resources, as well as international and domestic arbitration and litigation. He also advises on international family and wills and estates law. He has been recognized by top legal directories including Chambers & Partners and Who’s Who Legal. Dr. Hernández-Bretón is an elected member of the Venezuelan Academy of Political and Social Sciences, the Instituto Hispano Luso Americano de Derecho Internacional and the International Academy of Comparative Law. He is a tenured professor of law at Universidad Central de Venezuela, Universidad Monteávila and Universidad Católica Andrés Bello. He has authored three books and more than one hundred law articles.
Dr. Hernández-Bretón routinely advises international firms in mining and oil & gas projects in Venezuela. He has also assisted in the negotiation of complex EPC contracts, and has acted as counsel and arbitrator in local and foreign proceedings. He has also appeared before arbitration panels and foreign courts as expert witness on issues of international law, private international law and Venezuelan law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised several oil and gas foreign companies in their Venezuelan projects, including project financing.
- Advised several mining foreign companies in their Venezuelan projects, including project financing.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Caracas Bar Association
- Venezuela (1981)
- University of Heidelberg (Dr. iur. utr. summa cum laude) (1991)
- Faculte Int'l de Droit Comparé (Diploma) (1990)
- University of Tuebingen (LL.M. magna cum laude) (1988)
- Columbia University (LL.M.) (1983)
- Andrés Bello Catholic University (J.D. summa cum laude) (1981)