Erik Gutierrez Zuniga is a partner in the Corporate and Securities Practice Group in the Mexico City office, having joined Baker McKenzie in 2001 as an associate. He is currently a member of Baker McKenzie's North America Steering Committee for Cross-border Transactions and Integrations and is an active participant of the Firm's Global Reorganizations Practice Group. Prior to such roles, Erik was a member of the Latin America Private Equity Sub-Committee of the Firm and involved in the Mexican Private Equity Association and legal committee of the Latin American Venture Capital Association.
Clients have recognized in Erik his ability to properly and diligently identify issues seeking adequate solutions with innovative ideas taking into consideration local practical difficulties and with a business sense for implementation.
Erik has been recognized as a 2020 BTI Client Service All-Stars based solely on unprompted feedback from clients at large and Fortune 1000, Standout Lawyer in North America in Acritas in 2018 and 2019, Stars Report and Database. The annual ranking of individual lawyers who deliver outstanding legal services is based on client recommendations, through a survey of 4,300 senior in-house counsel around the world.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented and advised a global pharmaceutical company in several projects with the planning and implementation of the divestiture of its businesses in preparation for an acquisition process and/or to create a joint venture.
- Advised global industrial clients with complex carve-out structures involving multijurisdictional efforts.
- Represented important companies in the information technology sector in due diligence and acquisition processes.
- Leading advisor for companies in different industries in cross-border transactions, post-acquisition integrations, corporate reorganizations, mergers, divestitures, migrations and redomiciliation projects.
- Involved in several transactions related to the chemical industry.
- Supported multinational companies in their set-up in Mexico, including the negotiation of government incentives.
- Participated in important contractual negotiations and implementation of projects.
- Participated in several bidding processes and represented clients in the oil sector, including maritime compliance.
- Mexico (2001)
- Kellogg Graduate School of Management, Northwestern University (Program (Global Leadership Program)) (2016)
- Universidad de Salamanca Spain (Post Graduate Degree (International Private Law)) (2003)
- Universidad Panamericana (Specialization International Finance Law, International Trade, Intellectual Property, Corporate & Economy) (2003)
- University Anáhuac del Sur (Law Degree) (2000)