John regularly advises clients on cutting-edge intermediary liability, product counsel, notice and takedown, and music licensing issues. In the technology space, he advises a range of clients on complex artificial intelligence, gaming, digital media and online selling issues. He also advises on a range of consumer, privacy and commercial law issues.
John has led complex copyright litigation in the Copyright Tribunal and in arbitration, as well as commercial litigation in the High Court. He has also assisted with copyright litigation at the Supreme Court and CJEU.
In 2013 he went on a client secondment to a leading international internet services and online advertising company, advising on a range of brand protection, licensing and general commercial issues. In 2017 he completed a client secondment to a leading social media and advertising company, advising on a range of intellectual property, commercial and music licensing issues.
Representative Legal Matters
Providing complex advice to a number of new media, social and online platform clients, relating to intermediary liability and cutting-edge product counsel issues.
Leading a benchmarking study and report on artificial intelligence and predictive policing approaches and technologies for a leading technology firm.
Leading specialist advice on difficult notice and takedown issues for many social and online platform clients.
Advising a number of new media, social and online platform clients in relation to content regulation, platform regulation, and associated digital media issues.
Leading several strands of litigation and contentious matters for one of the world’s largest music service providers, together with connected central strategic advice and licensing strategies.
Advising a number of new media and online platform clients in respect of various music licensing issues: licensing negotiations, rights mapping exercises and risk profiling
Filing a reference at the Copyright Tribunal on behalf of one of the world’s most popular short form video apps in relation to a music rights licence offered by a rights holder
Advising a number of augmented and virtual reality gaming companies and platforms on a range of novel product counsel issues related to their immersive technologies
Advising a leading gaming platform in relation to technology, copyright and privacy issues, including on flagship functionality changes, product counsel, and identifying and shutting down a major cheat site
Advising a leading virtual reality company in relation to a broad range of content issues, ranging from content regulation to ratings and consumer law issues
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tech UK Data Analytics and AI Leadership Committee
- Law Society of England and Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2013)
- King's College London, UK (Postgraduate Diploma in UK, EU and US Copyright Law) (2015)
- College of Law (Legal Practice Course with distinction) (2011)
- College of Law (Graduate Diploma in Law with distinction) (2010)
- Oxford University (MSt History) (2009)
- University of Warwick (BA History (First class honors)) (2008)
- College of Law (LLB (First class honors))
- ‘Enforcement in a digital context: intermediary liability’ (with Ben Allgrove), Tanya Aplin Research Handbook on Intellectual Property and Digital Technologies, Edward Elgar, 2020
- ‘‘Battlegrounds: Intermediary liability, copyright reform, article 17 and the value gap’, International Copyright Law Forum, 27th & 28th November 2018 - KNect365/ IBC Legal
- ‘'Is the tide turning against streaming pirates?', Intellectual Property Magazine, September 2018
- ‘'Germany's Network Enforcement Act: Closing the Net on Fake News?', European Intellectual Property Review, August 2018
- ‘Panel Member, 'The Digital Lawyer. Top Tips to Harness Data, Mitigate Cybersecurity Risk, and Ensure Data Privacy in Minnesota and Around the World', MNACCA Congress, Minneapolis, 3 May 2018