Tristan Grimmer is a partner in Baker McKenzie's London office. He is a member of the Compliance & Investigations and the International Trade and Competition practice groups. Tristan joined the Firm as a trainee in March 2004, qualifying in March 2006. He has advised on parallel investigations by authorities in the United States, Switzerland, Brazil, Japan, and has spent time working in Baker McKenzie's Chicago office.
Tristan was recently named as a "Next Generation Lawyer" in the UK Legal 500 2017 directory.
Tristan advises clients on the management and mitigation of risks under anti-bribery and corruption, international trade (trade sanctions and export controls), and competition laws. He focuses on providing compliance counselling and advising clients on the design and implementation of their corporate compliance programs. Tristan also supports clients in the management of internal and external investigations.
Tristan has significant experience in the management of internal and external investigations by government authorities, regulators and prosecutors. He has advised clients on investigations by the Serious Fraud Office, National Crime Agency, European Commission, Competition and Markets Authority, and HM Revenue and Customs.
Representative Legal Matters
- Representing an FTSE 100 company on the investigation and self-report of bribery-related matters before the Serious Fraud Office and US Department of Justice.
- Acting as external counsel to a major financial services company, in relation to its program for the management of bribery and corruption risks arising from its use of third parties.
- Advising an FTSE 250 company in connection with an investigation into alleged impropriety by intermediaries in the Middle East, including regarding its reporting obligations, to the Serious Fraud Office.
- Representing an FTSE 100 company in an investigation by the National Crime Agency into alleged violations of EU and UK sanctions.
- Advising an oil and gas major on the impact of the EU's sanctions on Russia on various current and future projects in Russia.
- Advising an oil and gas major on the impact of the EU's sanctions on Libya targeted at the Gaddafi regime on the operation of its joint ventures with the Libyan State Oil Company.
- Advising an FTSE 250 supplier of components for use in military goods, in relation to the submission of a voluntary disclosure to HM Revenue and Customs regarding the supply of products in contravention of the arms embargo against Azerbaijan.
- Advising a UK defense company on investigations initiated by HM Revenue and Customs and the Department of Justice, into the diversion of products to Iran.
- Representing a global investment bank on the European Commission's investigation into the Credit Default Swaps market. The resolution of the case resulted in the Global Competition Review joint award for European Behavioural Matter of the Year 2016.
- Advising a Japanese conglomerate on the European Commission's investigation into a global cartel, including participation in the European Commission's settlement procedure.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales
- England & Wales~United Kingdom (2006)
- Leeds University (LLB, First Class Honors) (2002)