Samuel Grilli is an associate in the Firm's Global Tax Practice Group in the Chicago office. He provides domestic and international tax planning advice to corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and REITs. Prior to law school, he worked as an auditor at a big four accounting firm in both the asset management and real estate groups. He is a certified public accountant.
Mr. Grilli focuses his practice on advising US and non-US clients on federal income tax issues and providing tax structuring advice. He is experienced in tax matters related to acquisitions, private equity fund investments, and real estate transactions, including fund and REIT structures. In addition, he actively assists pro-bono clients with tax matters.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants - Member
- Illinois~United States (2011)
- University of Chicago Law School (2011)
- Cornell University (2004)
- Co-author, "Taxation of Player Contract Trades-The IRS Reaches the Correct Result," Journal of Taxation, August 2019
- Co-author, "Do Taxpayers Still Need to Sell Domestically Controlled REIT Shares to Avoid FIRPTA?" Journal of Taxation, May 2019
- Co-author, "New Regulations on Partnership Debt and Disguised Sales: Is the Road to Hell Paved with Good Intentions? (Part 2)," Journal of Taxation, March 2017
- Co-author, "New Regulations on Partnership Debt and Disguised Sales: Is the Road to Hell Paved with Good Intentions? (Part 1)," Journal of Taxation, February 2017
- Co-author, "Tax Court Finally Unveils Reverse Exchange Principle in Bartell, But Stay Tuned," Journal of Taxation, November 2016
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.