Ryan Grant is a litigation partner with over 12 years' experience.
Ryan has acted for national and international technology and media companies in relation to disputes in the areas of misleading or deceptive conduct, data protection, data breach, copyright, defamation, including online defamation, and general commercial disputes. Many of these disputes involve issues that have never been litigated in Australia.
Ryan also holds a Bachelor of IT majoring in Software Engineering and Internet Technology and worked as a software developer prior to becoming a lawyer.
Ryan focuses his practice on advising and acting for technology and media companies in litigious matters, particularly in the areas of data protection, general commercial disputes, defamation, intellectual property, information technology and commercial law.
Representative Legal Matters
- Acts for a number of large multi-national outsourcing companies in relation to disputes with customers, usually in relation to scope creep, failure to implement or outages/system performance issues.
- Acts for a number of clients in relation to general contractual or commercial disputes.
- Acts for a foreign listed parent conducting a complex members' voluntary liquidation of its local subsidiaries.
- Acts for a logistics consumer in relation to claims on indemnities for outages on the part of the supplier.
- Acts for a customer of cyber security services in relation to a claim against the supplier of the cyber security services arising out of a successful unauthorized attack.
- Acts for Optus in relation to a data breach matter arising out of the upload of customer details to Freelancer.
- Acts for a supplier of whole of business technology services in relation to a dispute with a government entity over transition out services.
- Acts for a customer that received a counterfeit change of bank details notification from a vendor (who was subject to a successful phishing attack).
- Seconded to Optus as a maternity leave cover for the role of Deputy General Counsel - Litigation. Reporting directly to the General Counsel. Sole in-house disputes / regulatory lawyer in a legal team of 34, dealing with all aspects of disputes and general commercial advisory.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Communications and Media Law Association - Young Lawyers Committee
- Internet Association Task Force - Member
- New South Wales~Australia (2007)
- College of Law (Grad DipLP) (2007)
- University of New South Wales (LL.B.) (2006)
- Bond University (Bachelor of Information Technology double major in software engineering & internet technology) (2002)
Baker & McKenzie, an Australian Partnership, is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Swiss Verein.