Steven Glanz is one of the Firm's most senior Mergers & Acquisitions partners. He worked in the Firm’s New York office for a number of years after studying at Columbia University. Steven was the managing partner for Australia for 5 years and was the chairman of the Firm’s Asia Pacific M&A Committee.
Steven is highly experienced in all aspects of corporate takeovers and divestments across the Australian and the Asia Pacific market, and in major capital markets transactions.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advising AccorInvest on the sale of the largest hotel portfolio in Australia.
- Advising Hanesbrands Inc on the takeover of Pacific Brands Group Ltd.
- Advising Washington H Soul Pattinson & Company Ltd on an activist shareholder dispute with Perpetual Limited and Carnegie Group.
- Advising Altamont Capital Partners on its recapitalization of Billabong and acquisition of the Dakine brand from Billabong.
- Advising Abertis Infraestructuras SA on its bid for the AUD 7 billion toll road network owned by the Queensland Government.
- Advising Passport Capital on complex pre-bid option arrangements with Rio Tinto in relation to Rio Tinto's off market takeover bid for Riversdale Mining.
- Acting for Transfield Services Limited on the sale of TSI Fund to Ratchaburi Electricity Generating Holding PCL.
- Advising iSOFT Group Limited on the AUD 480 million takeover by Computer Sciences Corporation.
- Acting for Asahi on the acquisition of Cadbury Schweppes's Australian beverages business.
- Advising New Hope Corporation Limited on the AUD 2.45 billion sale of the New Saraji Coal Project to the BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance.
- Advising Billiton Plc in connection with the proposed acquisition of CSR’s and AMP’s interests in the Gove bauxite and alumina operation in the Northern Territory.
- Acting on the takeover of Mayne Pharma by Hospira, Inc for AUD 2.2 billion
Best Lawyers in Australia - Corporate Law and M&A Law, 2017 - 2020
Leading Lawyer - Mergers & Acquisitions, IFLR 2013
Leading Individual - Corporate/M&A, Chambers Asia Pacific, 2013
Leading Individual - Capital Markets, Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Chamber of Commerce - Governor
- ASIC - Mergers & Acquisitions Liaison Committee
- High Court of Australia~Australia (1987)
- Victoria~Australia (1984)
- New South Wales~Australia (1978)
- Columbia University (New York) (LL.M.) (1981)
- University of New South Wales (LL.B.) (1977)
- University of New South Wales (B.Com.) (1975)
- New York
"Split Your Wealth, Not Your Family," video interview with BBR Media
Author, "High Court rules that in certain circumstances a company could only have preference shares on issue," Keeping Good Companies, RMIT Publishing, August 2013
Author, "Why sellers of assets should beware of auctions," Financial Review, November 2012
Author, "Bear hugs and grizzly bears," Australian Institute of Company Directors, September 2012