Raffaele Giarda chairs Baker McKenzie's Global Technology Media & Telecoms Industry Group and co-heads the Commercial-Corporate/M&A practice in the Firm's Italy offices. He has contributed articles to law journals, and often speaks at and moderates Italian and international conferences and seminars on IT/C legal and regulatory issues.
Mr. Giarda is a lecturer at the University of Rome as well as at the Italian National School for Public Administration. He joined the Firm in 1989 and became a partner in 1999.
Mr. Giarda assists domestic and multinational clients in the areas of IT/C, media, M&A, corporate law and commercial contracts. He advises on regulatory matters, as well as on wireless networks and services, infrastructure rollout and provision services, satellite networks, media platforms, mobile virtual network operators (MVNO), interconnection and access, the Internet of Things (IoT), disruptive technologies, Machine-2-Machine (M2M) and other internet protocol scenarios.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Over-The-Top and new entrants on authorizations and other regulatory issues in new technology, public electronic communication networks, mobile services, rights of use of frequencies and numbering resources, internet access, IoT, satellite network and communications services, MVNO, VAS, data transmission, CUG, Wi-Fi, WLAN, NGN, voice telephony and similar services.
- Assisted a media company in its sale to an Italian broadcasting company.
- Assisted and represented a bidder in all public tenders (in the form of spectrum auctions or beauty contests) launched by the Italian government in the wireless sector, and in the granting of frequencies usage rights since the 1998 market liberalization in Italy.
- Advised a leading multinational content provider in relation to broadcasting and production quotas in the production and distribution of audiovisual content.
- Assisted a Dow 30 company in connection with all corporate aspects, shareholder agreement negotiations, regulatory issues and commercial matters related to the investment in, and then divestment of, a major Italian telecoms operator.
- Assisted a leading multinational content provider in connection with its acquisition of an EU-based multinational content provider.
- Assisted operators in the negotiation of MVNO and interconnection agreements concerning direct, reverse, fixed-mobile, mobile-mobile, carrier pre-selection arrangements and local loop unbundling, as well as IRU agreements, roaming hub, M2M services and mobile backhaul.
- Advised car manufacturers in connection with the launch of their connected car projects.
- Assisted a global IT enabler in relation to its offering to connected car stakeholders.
- Participated, upon invitation from the Italian government, in the consultation sessions related to the liberalization of the telecommunications market in Italy, on behalf of new entrants.
- Represented operators before the Italian Regulatory Communications Authority and the Ministry of Communications.
- Consistently ranked in Band 1 for telecommunications law, Chambers Global, 2000-2016
- Recommended lawyer, International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- Recommended lawyer, Legal 500 EMEA
- Recommended lawyer, IFLR: The Guide to the World’s Leading Business Law Firms
- Italian Telecommunications Lawyer of the Year, Legalcommunity Awards, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rome Bar Association
- National Association for the Convergence of Communications Services - Honorary Member
- Expert of the Matter - Connected Car Committee established by the Italian Ministry of Economic Development
Steering Committee Member, Iniziative Culturali Educative e Familiari (ICEF), a non-profit association for the education of children, young people and families
- Italy (1992)
- New York University (M.C.J.) (1994)
- Columbia University (Summer Program American Law) (1990)
- University of Rome (J.D. with Honors) (1989)
Co-author, "The Italian Market for Electronic Telecommunications," Telecommunication Laws in Europe, Bloomsbury, 2013
Author, "Rights of end-users," Il Codice delle Comunicazioni Elettroniche, Giuffrè, 2004