Raffaele Giarda is the global head of Baker McKenzie's Technology Media & Telecoms Industry Group and co-heads the IPTech and Corporate/M&A practices in the Firm's Italy offices. He has contributed articles to law journals, and often moderates and speaks at Italian and international conferences and seminars on tech legal and regulatory issues.
Mr. Giarda is a lecturer at the University of Rome as well as at the Italian National School for Public Administration. He joined the Firm in 1989 and became partner in 1999.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Over-The-Top and new entrants on authorizations and other regulatory issues in new technology, public electronic communication networks, mobile services, rights of use of frequencies and numbering resources, internet access, IoT, satellite network and communications services, MVNO, VAS, data transmission, Closed Users Groups, Wi-Fi, WLAN, NGN, eCall technology and similar services.
- Assisted a media company in its sale to an Italian broadcasting company.
- Assisted and represented a bidder in all public tenders (in the form of spectrum auctions or beauty contests) launched by the Italian Government in the wireless sector, and in the granting of frequencies rights of use since the 1998 market liberalization in Italy.
- Assisted a Dow 30 company in connection with all corporate aspects, shareholder agreement negotiations, regulatory issues and commercial matters related to the investment in, and then divestment of, a major Italian mobile telecoms operator.
- Assisted a leading multinational satellite broadcasting player and content provider in connection with its acquisition of rights of way and network related services from the largest wireline network provider in Italy.
- Assisted operators in the negotiation of MVNO and interconnection agreements concerning direct, reverse, fixed-mobile, mobile-mobile, carrier pre-selection arrangements and local loop unbundling, as well as IRU agreements, roaming hub, M2M services and mobile backhaul.
- Advised car manufacturers in connection with the launch of their connected car projects.
- Assisted a global IT enabler in relation to its offering to connected car stakeholders.
- Participated, upon invitation from the Italian Government, in the consultation sessions related to the liberalization of the telecommunications market in Italy, on behalf of new entrants.
- Represented operators before the Italian Regulatory Communications Authority and the Ministry of Communications.
- Consistently ranked in Band 1 for telecommunications law, Chambers Global, 2000-2020
- Recommended lawyer, International Who’s Who of Business Lawyers
- Recommended lawyer, Legal 500 EMEA
- Recommended lawyer, IFLR: The Guide to the World’s Leading Business Law Firms
- Italian Telecommunications Lawyer of the Year, Legalcommunity Awards, 2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Rome Bar Association
- Expert of the Matter - Connected Car Committee established by the Italian Ministry of Economic Development
- Italy (1992)
- Italy Supreme Court
- New York University (M.C.J.) (1994)
- Columbia University (Summer Program American Law) (1990)
- University of Rome (J.D., with honors) (1989)
Author of several articles and publications on magazines, financial newspapers and specialized reviews on tech-related issues as well as on ownership and transfer rules in regulated industries:
Speaker, Podcast: "AI in the Time of Coronavirus," TMT Talk, March 2020
Co-author, "The Italian Market for Electronic Telecommunications," Telecommunication Laws in Europe, Bloomsbury, 2013
Author, "Rights of end-users," Il Codice delle Comunicazioni Elettroniche, Giuffrè, 2004