Anthony Gamble is a senior associate with Baker McKenzie's London office. He is an experienced merger control and foreign investment/national security law specialist. He has been a member of Baker McKenzie's Competition, Trade & Foreign Investment team in the London office since 2015. Prior to joining Baker McKenzie, Anthony worked at a leading UK law firm for four years.
Anthony’s practice is focused upon UK merger control and foreign investment, and coordinating merger control and foreign investment filings worldwide. He advises private equity and industry clients across a range of sectors but has particular experience advising on transactions in the healthcare and life science (HLS) and energy, mining and infrastructure (EMI) sectors. Anthony has represented clients before the UK Competition and Markets Authority, the European Commission and the European Court of Justice.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised Core Equity Holdings on the acquisition by its dental healthcare platform, Portman Dental Care, of the Dentex Healthcare group. Anthony's team on this transaction was nominated for the Competition and Regulatory Team of the Year award at the Lawyer Awards 2023 and the Competition Team of the Year 2023 award at the Legal Business Awards.
- Advised Rio Tinto in relation to a joint venture agreement with Giampaolo Group Inc. to acquire a 50% equity stake in Giampaolo's Matalco Inc. business to produce and market recycled aluminium in North America.
- Advised Shell in relation to the sale of its home energy businesses in the UK and Germany to Octopus Energy Group.
- Advised Shell in relation to its acquisition of the MIDEL and MIVOLT businesses owned by M&I Materials Ltd.
- Advised CK Hutchison in relation to a USD 700 million investment in two projects at major ports in Egypt.
- Advised ICU Medical in relation to its acquisition of Smiths Medical, the healthcare business of Smiths Group plc, to create a leading infusion therapy company with combined revenues of approximately USD 2.5 billion.
- Regularly represents clients seeking clearance for transactions from the Investment and Security Unit under the National Security and Investment Act.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch for United Kingdom 2023
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Law Society of England & Wales - Member
- England & Wales (2013)
- King's College London (Post Graduate Diploma) (2017)
- BPP University Law School (GDL & LPC) (2011)
- University of Oxford (BA Economics and Management) (2009)
- Author, "Competition Law Treatment of Joint Ventures: A Jurisdictional Guide," UK Chapter, Concurrences, 2022
- Author, "More Aggressive Scrutiny of Life Science Deals – But is there a problem that needs solving?" Global Competition Review, 2022
- Author, "The Rediscovery of Vertical Merger Enforcement," Competition Policy International Antitrust Chronicle, 2022