Margarita Fernández is a partner in Baker McKenzie's Madrid office. Marta has been with the Firm for 20 years, having joined the labor department of the Madrid office in 2002. As a member of the Employment Practice Group, Margarita specializes in employment-related matters.
In September 2016, Margarita was seconded to a multinational company, where she provided assistance with the management of global employment matters and the implementation of global best practices to the group management team.
Before joining Baker McKenzie, Margarita rendered services at the legal department of Grupo Generali.
Margarita is an associate professor at University Carlos III, where she gives classes on international employment counselling.
Margarita is a member of the Labor Lawyers Forum (FORELAB). Her keen interest in diversity and inclusion is reflected in the fact that she is also a member of the Women in a Legal World network, to promote female leadership in the legal world; a co-director of the SayAbility Working Group of FIDE, which focuses on the inclusion of people with disabilities in law firms; and part of the CEO for Diversity (CEO por la diversidad) alliance.
Margarita is a member of the Employment Practice Group in Baker McKenzie's Madrid office with 20 years of experience in advising major companies on employment-related matters, including recruitment and termination, contingent workers, harassment investigations, labor inspections, negotiation of collective agreements with employee representatives, employment issues related to corporate transactions, restructuring processes, etc. Margarita helps clients to comply with employment regulations, coordinating other related areas such as tax, data protection, compliance and investigations, etc. when necessary.
Margarita is experienced international employment counselling, diversity and inclusion, equality and equal pay matters (including collective negotiation of equality plans); issues related to senior executives; and the impact of banking regulations on compensation schemes, terminations and equity-based awards.
Margarita is an active member of Baker McKenzie's Energy, Mining and Infrastructure and TMT Industry Groups.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advised multinational companies in the IT sector on equal pay and equality obligations.
- Advised a multinational company on the implementation of a diversity and inclusion roadmap.
- Advised on the implementation of downsizing processes in the banking sector.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member of the Labor Lawyers Forum (FORELAB)
- Member of Women in a Legal World
- Co-director of SayAbility Working Group of FIDE
- Spain (2003)
- Comillas Pontifical University, Madrid (Law Degree specializing in Business Law)
Firm Committee Memberships
- EMEA Inclusion Champion of the Madrid office
- Member of the Social Responsibility Committee of the Madrid office
- Member of EMEA Inclusion Circles (mentor)