As a former in-house counsel with multinational experience, Rachel's practice focuses on technology transactions, data privacy and cybersecurity. She has extensive experience advising clients on data incidents and breach response, cross-border transfers, and data privacy and cybersecurity issues related to mergers and acquisitions. Rachel also represents clients in the development of data privacy and security programs for compliance with the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the California Privacy Rights Act (CPRA), the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA), as well as sector-specific regulations.
In addition to privacy and cybersecurity work, Rachel works with clients to build regulatory compliance programs around anti-corruption, trade and export controls, third-party due diligence, and antitrust. She routinely conducts high-level investigations and training in these areas and has extensive experience advising companies on government and workplace investigations involving bribery, financial impropriety and fraud, and conflicts of interest.
Representative Legal Matters
- Represented clients and led data security and incident response in hundreds of incidents, with companies ranging from Fortune 100 companies to start-ups.
- Developed HIPAA compliance programs for multiple covered entities and business associates.
- Developed and helped clients manage global privacy and security programs to meet a variety of legal requirements.
- Conducted table-top exercises and training related to global privacy and security scenarios.
- Advised on data subject and consumer data requests, helping build customized solutions to address data rights.
- Counseled boards and senior leadership on strategic business risks within cyber, privacy, and technology infrastructure.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association - Member
- Social of Corporate Compliance and Ethics - Member
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) - Member
- Texas State Bar Association, Computer Technology, International, and Employment Sections - Member
- Montgomery County United Way - Board Member
- Salvation Army of Montgomery County - Board Member
- Texas A&M University International Board - Member
- Texas (2009)
- University of Texas School of Law (JD) (2008)
- University of Kent (MA International Affairs) (2000)
- Texas A&M University (BS Agriculture) (1999)
- Co-author, "Key Takeaways From India’s Digital Personal Data Protection Bill, 2023," Connect on Tech, August 2023
- Co-author, "Innovation and Accountability: Asking Better Questions in Implementing Generative AI," Connect on Tech, August 2023
- Co-author, "SEC Adopts Final Cybersecurity Rules," Connect on Tech, July 2023
- Co-author, "United States: Tag You’re It—Oregon is Number 11 in the Game of State Consumer Privacy," Connect on Tech, July 2023
- Co-author, "European Commission Adopts “Adequacy” Decision for the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework (“DPF”)," Connect on Tech, July 2023
- Co-author, "US Government Announces Full Implementation of New Privacy Safeguards under Executive Order 14086: The Path is Now Cleared for the European Commission to Adopt the Adequacy Decision for the EU-U.S. Data Privacy Framework," Connect on Tech, July 2023