Maria P. Eberle is a member of the Firm’s Tax Group in New York. She advises multinational companies on a full range of state and local tax matters, including tax controversy and litigation. Before joining Baker McKenzie, Ms. Eberle was a partner at an international law firm, where she concentrated on state and local tax matters. In addition, she was previously a manager of multistate tax services at a Big Four accounting firm where she advised individual and corporate clients on a variety of state and local tax issues. Ms. Eberle has also served as an adjunct professor of law at Quinnipiac University School of Law, where she taught a course on state and local tax.
Ms. Eberle focuses her practice on various state and local tax matters, including corporate income/franchise tax, sales and use tax, and property tax. She advises businesses and individuals on state and local tax planning and all aspects of litigation matters, representing clients at all stages of state and local tax disputes including the audit, administrative appeal, state trial court, and state appellate and supreme court stages.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises diverse US- and foreign-based multinationals on all aspects of state income/franchise, sales/use tax and real property transfer tax issues, including nexus, business/non-business income, sourcing considerations, unitary business principles and US Constitutional concepts.
- Represents clients in state tax controversies before courts and/or administrative tax tribunals throughout the US with a specific focus on New York State and New York City tax controversies.
- Advises individuals in planning and represents individuals in controversies with respect to state personal income tax issues, including residency determinations and domicile changes.
- New York~United States (2007)
- Connecticut~United States (2006)
- New York University (Master of Law Taxation) (2009)
- Quinnipiac University School of Law (J.D.) (2006)
- New York University (B.A.) (2003)
Baker & McKenzie LLP is a Limited Liability Partnership organized under the laws of the State of Illinois (USA) and is a member of Baker & McKenzie International, a Verein organized under the laws of Switzerland.