Lothar Determann has been helping companies in Silicon Valley and around the world take products, business models, intellectual property and contracts global for nearly 20 years. He advises on data privacy law compliance, information technology commercialization, interactive entertainment, media, copyrights, open source licensing, electronic commerce, technology transactions, sourcing and international distribution at Baker McKenzie in San Francisco & Palo Alto. He is a member of the Firm's International/Commercial Practice Group and the TMT and Healthcare industry groups.
Representative Legal Matters
- Advises global mobile and web gaming developers, including VR, AR, on regulatory restrictions, IP, contracting and data privacy, security.
- Counsels E-commerce and Internet companies on various international and domestic business and compliance matters.
- Assists companies with establishing and maintaining data privacy and security compliance matters.
- Advises on data security breach incidents and responses.
- Assists more than 100 US companies with the establishment and maintenance of electronic waste compliance schemes and product compliance regimes under U.S., European, Chinese and other countries’ laws (WEEE, RoHS, CE marking, REACH, conflict minerals, Prop 65, etc.).
- Advises major technology companies, start-ups and non-profit organizations regarding the use and release of open source software products and related business model and compliance matters.
- Provides strategic advice and contract localization assistance with respect to technology license and distribution contracts (formation, electronic contracting, termination, disputes, franchise laws, competition law matters) around the world.
- Supports and guides technology companies, manufacturers and service companies with expanding their business globally, including guidance regarding business models, entity formation, strategic contracts and compliance matters.
- Advises a leading video game streaming portal on all aspects of data protection, content regulation and other subject matters.
- Assists several online and video gaming companies with data privacy, consumer protection and regulatory compliance.
- Frequently advises on sweepstakes, games of skill and promotions.
- California~United States (2000)
- Frankfurt/M.~Germany (1998)
- Free University of Berlin (Habilitation) (1999)
- State of Berlin (Second State Exam) (1997)
- Free University of Berlin (Dr. iur.) (1996)
- State of Berlin (First State Exam) (1994)
- State of Bavaria (Publicly Certified Banker) (1990)
- San Francisco
- Co-author, "United States: A Harbinger of Things to Come for Employers? New Santa Clara County Order Requires Employers to Quickly Determine if Employees are Vaccinated," Baker McKenzie InsightPlus, 21 May 2021
- Author, "Open Cars," Berkeley Technology Law Journal, Volume 32 (2017), January 2017
- Author, "U.S. Privacy Safe Harbor - More Myths and Facts," Bloomberg BNA, November 2015
- Co-author, "Software Copyright’s Oracle from the Cloud," Berkeley Technology Law Journal, Volume 30 Issue 1 (2015), September 2015
- Author, "What Happens in the Cloud: Software as a Service and Copyrights," Berkeley Technology Law Journal, Volume 29 Issue 2 (2015), January 2014
- Co-author, "On War and Peace in Cyberspace," Hastings Constitutional Law Quarterly, Volume 41 (2014), May 2014